Sign in with
Your question

What is a good gaming monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2008 5:55:18 PM

Hey guys I really want to buy a new monitor for about $300.00 - $400.00 dollars for gaming! Must be at least 21" any suggestions?

More about : good gaming monitor

August 1, 2008 6:47:10 PM

sharkextreme said:
Hey guys I really want to buy a new monitor for about $300.00 - $400.00 dollars for gaming! Must be at least 21" any suggestions?

i suggest the westinghouse 24inch 2410nm monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

not even though the monitor has a 8ms response time i have noticed 0 ghosting. it is 1920 x 1200 resolution (1080P and more) and has a mva panel. which means not a cheap tn panel like any other montior in your price range. mva panel means great color, great brightness, great veiwing angles. that monitor has a chit load of inputs so u can hook ur xbox, pc, cable, laptop and dvd player all to it. the negatives of it are that it runs hot (but i hear that alot of big screens do), can make a buzzing sound if settings arent adjusting correctly, and **** customer service from westinghouse. But no matter what monitor u get in that price range, u will not get a perfect one, they all will have cons. unless your dishing out 900+$ your monitor will have something flawed with it, meaning either **** viewing angles, crap colors, bad brightness, runs hot etc.... but anyways the westinghouse is a good bang for the buck either way.
August 1, 2008 6:58:54 PM

My CRT went on the fritz and I got a Samsung T240 last week. Being my first LCD ever my opinion may not be worth much though. It has the same colors as a CRT so far I have notice. I did get a stuck sub pixel though which really can only be seen if you stare at it on a blank white or green background. I don't know if that is because of the TN panel or not. The westinghouse I was looking at along with an LG at circut city too. The westinghouse is more like a TV/Monitor hybrid which is good if that is what your looking for. That buzzing sound might have to do with bad electrical sockets in the wall its plugged into I have been told.
Related resources
August 1, 2008 7:35:17 PM

i have to say, out of allll the panels ive ever seen, hands down, samsung has to be the best out there

im impressed with every screen ive ever seen of theirs

o and btw, 1920x1200 on a 24" is your best bet with a pc gaming monitor, anything larger degrades performance...alot on some games
August 1, 2008 11:49:58 PM

Word of advice, don't go with Westinghouse at all, they have terrible customer support(personal experience). Samsung looks like they have nice monitors, but if you ever go actually look at their picture, they have HORRIBLE viewing angles and that kills a monitor in my opinion.

Right now I'm using a 24'' inch LG245 monitor and I dont think I've ever been happier. Plus LG gives you a 3 year warranty and will send you a new monitor if yours breaks and you just mail your broken monitor in the same box with free shipping when you get the new one. Like I said viewing angles are big for me and LG has perfected viewing angles. They aren't advertising my 24'' LG anymore, but I called them up the other day and they said they'd upgrade mine for free if mine ever broke, pretty amazing costumer support.

I guess since I'm pushing LG I might as well recommend one for you.

22" 170/170 viewing angle, 3000:1 constrast, 2ms response time for 309 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005097
August 2, 2008 3:31:35 AM

Thanks for all the responses!
Most likely going with the LG!!!
August 2, 2008 3:36:04 AM

Okay take that back going with the acer from hellz post
August 2, 2008 3:48:16 AM

Just remember the Acer has a 160/160 viewing angle, which if you view it from the side or from the bottom/top it will crush the blacks on the top and bottom. If you're like me and you slouch down a bit while gaming, you'll be seeing the top of your screen very dark unless you go with a 170/170+ viewing angle. Just something to keep in mind.

Not bashing Acer, I've heard good things, but the viewing angle will be something you'll see unless you are looking straight at your monitor.
!