Gigabyte Motherboard problems

rofflemywafflez

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hello folks!

Ok, so in a few days I'm expecting a sweet game on my doorstep, Assassin's Creed. The problem is, I have a Pentium 4 451... obviously outdated for the max performance I hope I can achieve.

Here are my system specs.

P4 541 (3.2ghz HT)
EVGA 8800GT Akimbo
2GB DDR2 800mhz
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

And now for the important info.

My mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2314)

I would like to install a Dual Core because I've heard that they run better than a Quad Core with games... and I'll just hold tight with that until another 2 yrs. when technology exponentially upgrades itself once more.

My question is, I am not sure what "version" of the board I have. Apparently there is a rev. 1.0, a 2.0 and 3.3. I have no idea what a "rev." is (perhaps someone can explain it to me). This has been all new to me until recently, and I have been doing hours upon hours of researching trying to learn this stuff. Luckily, it's interesting to me, although so very technical. lol :)

When I look at the "Supported CPU" list, apparently the E6600 and E6700 is supported with the rev. 1.0, but the E6850 (which I am going to buy if somehow it can be supported) is not.

Now on the 3.3, the E6850 is supported. But on the 1.0, no.

How can I figure out what Rev. Version I have of my motherboard? I've tried using Gigabytes software that came with the motherboard, but it isn't displaying enough info for me. Is there any way I can get the E6850 supported with my motherboard even if I have a rev. 1.0?

Thank you for the help!