Sign in with
Your question

new pc build...can't install OS...Help!

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2008 6:20:34 PM

I've nearly at my wits end here. I'm building my own system from scratch and I can't get Vista 64 bit installed on it. I actually can't even get into the OS setup at all. It goes to boot from the CD and then gives me the error(s) listed at the bottom. Here's the hardware specs on my build:

-------
ABS Aplus ABS-CS-EL Diablo Black 0.8mm SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 - Retail

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (x2)

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (x2)

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P13334GK - Retail (x2=8gig total)

COOLMAX CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA Model GGW-H20L - Retail

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail

Logitech G15 2-Tone USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail

Westinghouse 42" 16:9 8ms 1080p LCD HDTV w/ ATSC Tuner TX-42F430S
------

This is my first pc build, so doubtless I'm doing something wrong. I think it may have something to do with my hard drives. When I boot it up, it passes the POST, but then I notice that it says:

"Detecting eSATA drives: No eSATA drives found."

So does that mean that it isn't reading my hard drives? In the BIOS menu, they do show up though. Also once I bypass that message and try to install my OS it has given me one of two different errors. Either:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assitance.

File: /windows/system32/boot/winload.exe
Status 0xc0000221
Info: The file is possibly corrupt. Its header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Or

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assitance.

File: /windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe
Status 0xc0000098
Info: The file is possibly corrupt. Its header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I have all my cables hooked up properly...I've checked them about 100 times. It may be something in my BIOS that I'm overlooking though. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? I have tried resetting the CMOS already too btw...

More about : build install

July 13, 2008 6:34:32 PM

Esata is not the same as sata, it sounds like it is trying to boot off the Esata port and not the internal sata port.

Esata is for an external drive to use, go into your bios and make sure it is set to boot off of your lite-on first and your sata drive second (most bioses list this as "c:".

Hope this helps, also if you get it to work and have problems booting or installing, try running your sata in "ide mode".
September 6, 2008 4:16:02 AM

:o  I so hope this helps my case lol, this issues been eating my brain for about 2 weeks ....

bascally im running:

Mobo:

P7n2 Diamond

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodmbspec&prod...

( heh too much info to print)

Processor:

Q9300 intel duo quad

RAM

Geil ddr3 1333mhz 4 gb 2 sticks using dimm ports 1 and 3

Video card:

nvidia GT9600-ZL-1GB

Hdd:

Ide 80gb
sata 500gb

i have already made my bios boot directly from the hdd, mind you im starting to believe its a vista incompatability problem with the drivers for the sata and ide, basically im done clean installs and it fails every time on boot now lol, im about to revert back to xp, if this works im not changing to vista anytime soon lol

If anyone else has any theories on this problem please reply, need assistance.

P.S. i have done alot of hardware testing just to make sure it not broken but because it boots past post then i doubt its hardware.

April 15, 2011 12:07:08 AM

Why would you bump a 3 year old thread?
!