$39 HDMI/DVI/Audio switch

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 28, 2005 10:43:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?off=0&sort=p...

Just got it, works okay so far.
Dumb curved-top design prevents stacking with other desktop/cabinet stuff,
though.
And yes, it is HDCP "compatible". ;-)

More about : hdmi dvi audio switch

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:11:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

<<I saw this on the cover of the new Markertek catalog and wondered how
well
it works, since other DVI switches I found were way more>>

I would be very cautious about buying anything from Markertek. I've
done business with them a number of times in the past, and in almost
every case, their products, service and attitude were quite poor.

For example: once I ordered a patch bay and some short patch cables.
Only the bay arrived. I called them and was told the cables were
backordered and would take at least two weeks to ship. I told them to
cancel that part of the order, and credit my card as I would look
locally in the stores here in NYC for the cables. I found the cables
the next day. The very following day, the cables from Markertek
arrived. Long story short, they refused to take them back. I was stuck
with two sets which I didn't need.

Worse example: I ordered a set of about a dozen or so custom patch
cables -- they would be making them up to their "high standards." When
they arrived, three were missing the spring strain relief on the phone
plug end. Just rushed and sloppy workmanship. They refused to replace
them.

Horrendous example: When I was setting up field production kit, I
ordered a $1,300 Shure mixer. Actually needed it for a shoot I was
leaving on trip for in several days. They had a "new" unit in stock.
Had it sent FedEx next day. While using it, noticed that one of the
three channel pots was loose compared to others. Also seemed strange to
me that part of case Velcro was already mounted on mixer. When I got
back from trip, I examined contents of carton (was too rushed to get on
plane earlier), and noticed paperwork between Shure and Markertek
definitively showing this mixer had been repaired by Shure (apparently
dropped by previous owner). When confronted with this Markertek denied
it was a used/repaired unit. I was livid, but couldn't get them to
budge from their position that they sold me new mixer. Tried to get
Shure to take it in, replace knob (and pot) and warrant it as new. They
refused, saying I had bought a previously owned mixer (I suspected
Shure might have been in cahoots with Markertek to sell rehabed
equipment as new, and have never bought a single Shure product again!).
What I should have done is brought Markertek and Shure to court. But I
was much too busy working at the time, and the mixer seemed to work,
although that first channel was a little noisy once in a while (don't
have unit any longer).

I found Markertek's customer service to be useless. Could never get
intelligent, responsible person to respond to my complaints. Could
never get name of supervisor, company executives, etc. Once ran into
several of their smart-ass reps at trade show who almost laughed at me
when I told them this story.

Bottom line: I've never done business again with them. I realize their
catalog lists much obscure gear, etc., but if couldn't find it
elsewhere, I'd do without out. If they were the only supply house in
this biz, I'd go raise goats!

Beware of Markertek!
September 28, 2005 11:17:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I saw this on the cover of the new Markertek catalog and wondered how well
it works, since other DVI switches I found were way more money.

Do you see any degradation from the switch. Since it is described as
passive, I assume they must use a rotary or sliding mechanical switch to
switch all those contacts. Is it a clean and noiseless switch?

Thanks for your comments.

Smarty

"David" <davey@home.net> wrote in message
> http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?off=0&sort=p...
>
> Just got it, works okay so far.
> Dumb curved-top design prevents stacking with other desktop/cabinet stuff,
> though.
> And yes, it is HDCP "compatible". ;-)

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 29, 2005 10:07:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Thanks for the warning. Has anybody else had any experience with Markertek,
favorable or unfavorable?

<nydanceflm@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> equipment as new, and have never bought a single Shure product again!).
> What I should have done is brought Markertek and Shure to court. But I
> was much too busy working at the time, and the mixer seemed to work,
> although that first channel was a little noisy once in a while (don't
> have unit any longer).
>
> I found Markertek's customer service to be useless. Could never get
> intelligent, responsible person to respond to my complaints. Could
> never get name of supervisor, company executives, etc. Once ran into
> several of their smart-ass reps at trade show who almost laughed at me
> when I told them this story.
>
> Bottom line: I've never done business again with them. I realize their
> catalog lists much obscure gear, etc., but if couldn't find it
> elsewhere, I'd do without out. If they were the only supply house in

September 29, 2005 12:57:54 PM

"Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the warning. Has anybody else had any experience with
> Markertek, favorable or unfavorable?

I've just about given up on them. Try All Pro Audio in Seatte. Great service
and products.

www.audiogear.com

> [...]
>> equipment as new, and have never bought a single Shure product again!).
>> What I should have done is brought Markertek and Shure to court. But I
>> was much too busy working at the time, and the mixer seemed to work,
>> although that first channel was a little noisy once in a while (don't
>> have unit any longer).
>>
>> I found Markertek's customer service to be useless. Could never get
>> intelligent, responsible person to respond to my complaints. Could
>> never get name of supervisor, company executives, etc. Once ran into
>> several of their smart-ass reps at trade show who almost laughed at me
>> when I told them this story.
>>
>> Bottom line: I've never done business again with them. I realize their
>> catalog lists much obscure gear, etc., but if couldn't find it
>> elsewhere, I'd do without out. If they were the only supply house in

September 29, 2005 4:27:56 PM

>I saw this on the cover of the new Markertek catalog and wondered how well
>it works, since other DVI switches I found were way more money.
>
> Do you see any degradation from the switch. Since it is described as
> passive, I assume they must use a rotary or sliding mechanical switch to
> switch all those contacts. Is it a clean and noiseless switch?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Smarty

After trying a higher resolution, the signal seems to fall apart.

And yes, sadly, with more use I see that the switch contacts are
not exactly rock solid and/or noiseless.
September 29, 2005 7:12:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

What a shame! I have been trying to find a low cost A/B switch for DVI for
quite a while, and all of the ones I've found have cost hundreds of $$. Thus
the new mechanical switch for $39 from Markertech looked appealing. It does
not surprise me that it has trouble handling high bandwidth video.
Particularly for a mechanical switch, it's very difficult to get the right
impedance matching and isolation from contact to contact needed. And the
fact that Markertech sells it is obviously a negative as well. I've checked
with ProAudio in Seattle and no joy.......I doubt there truly is a low cost
DVI switch out there in this price range that will handle 1080i video well.

Thanks for the info.

> "Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>>I saw this on the cover of the new Markertek catalog and wondered how well
>>it works, since other DVI switches I found were way more money.
>>
>> Do you see any degradation from the switch. Since it is described as
>> passive, I assume they must use a rotary or sliding mechanical switch to
>> switch all those contacts. Is it a clean and noiseless switch?
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>>
>> Smarty
>
> After trying a higher resolution, the signal seems to fall apart.
>
> And yes, sadly, with more use I see that the switch contacts are
> not exactly rock solid and/or noiseless.

September 29, 2005 9:22:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

FWIW, I've had good experiences with Markertek over the years.. but could be
newer management now.
It's also a nice drive up to Woodstock country once in a while if I need to
pick up something. ;-)

> What a shame! I have been trying to find a low cost A/B switch for DVI for
> quite a while, and all of the ones I've found have cost hundreds of $$.
> Thus the new mechanical switch for $39 from Markertech looked appealing.
> It does not surprise me that it has trouble handling high bandwidth video.
> Particularly for a mechanical switch, it's very difficult to get the right
> impedance matching and isolation from contact to contact needed. And the
> fact that Markertech sells it is obviously a negative as well. I've
> checked with ProAudio in Seattle and no joy.......I doubt there truly is a
> low cost DVI switch out there in this price range that will handle 1080i
> video well.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Smarty
>

> "David" <davey@home.net> wrote in message
>> "Smarty" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>>>I saw this on the cover of the new Markertek catalog and wondered how
>>>well it works, since other DVI switches I found were way more money.
>>>
>>> Do you see any degradation from the switch. Since it is described as
>>> passive, I assume they must use a rotary or sliding mechanical switch to
>>> switch all those contacts. Is it a clean and noiseless switch?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comments.
>>>
>>> Smarty
>>
>> After trying a higher resolution, the signal seems to fall apart.
>>
>> And yes, sadly, with more use I see that the switch contacts are
>> not exactly rock solid and/or noiseless.

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 11:47:55 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv nydanceflm@aol.com wrote:

| What I should have done is brought Markertek and Shure to court. But I
| was much too busy working at the time, and the mixer seemed to work,
| although that first channel was a little noisy once in a while (don't
| have unit any longer).

They count on the fact that 99.999% of people won't do that. If you paid
by credit card via a decent CC company, they can reverse the charges on the
card (if done soon enough).

| I found Markertek's customer service to be useless. Could never get
| intelligent, responsible person to respond to my complaints. Could
| never get name of supervisor, company executives, etc. Once ran into
| several of their smart-ass reps at trade show who almost laughed at me
| when I told them this story.

Next time you run into them, ask for their business cards, while playing
the role of "potential bulk customer".

| Bottom line: I've never done business again with them. I realize their
| catalog lists much obscure gear, etc., but if couldn't find it
| elsewhere, I'd do without out. If they were the only supply house in
| this biz, I'd go raise goats!
|
| Beware of Markertek!

Hopefully you will be saving some others from a horror experience.
Thanks.

September 29, 2005 11:55:19 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv Smarty <nobody@nobody.com> wrote:

| What a shame! I have been trying to find a low cost A/B switch for DVI for
| quite a while, and all of the ones I've found have cost hundreds of $$. Thus
| the new mechanical switch for $39 from Markertech looked appealing. It does
| not surprise me that it has trouble handling high bandwidth video.
| Particularly for a mechanical switch, it's very difficult to get the right
| impedance matching and isolation from contact to contact needed. And the
| fact that Markertech sells it is obviously a negative as well. I've checked
| with ProAudio in Seattle and no joy.......I doubt there truly is a low cost
| DVI switch out there in this price range that will handle 1080i video well.

Maintaining impedance match in a mechanical switch is a very difficult
task. I know it can be done with coax, as I have worked with those. But
they get to be as expensive in a relative way as the electronic HDMI/DVI
switches I have seen listed.

We need to be "demanding" that HD TVs have multiple input sources. Given
many SD TVs in use today have 2 video inputs in addition to a tuner, I think
it is not unreasonable to "insist" on at least 3 HDMI/DVI inputs from a
monitor that has no tuner. Of course that will increase costs, as well.

September 30, 2005 2:15:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Phil,

I'm hopeful that eventually a cheap LSI electronic switch or voltage
controlled attenuators with enough bandwidth, low noise, and isolation will
show up for DVI and HDMI switching. Not only do the receivers need multiple
DVI and HDMI switching, but those of us who have DVI monitors and want to
switch them among Macs, PCs, HD sources, etc. already need a way to do so. I
would dearly love to take the DVI output from my Mac and from 2 of my DVD
authoring/editing PCs and instantly switch them to a single DVI display, but
today's solution is several hundred bucks, and monitors, as you say, tend to
only support a single DVI / HDMI input. I could build one out of old coaxial
relays........if I had enough of them....and.....where did I put those old
DowKey relays anyway........?.

73's

Smarty

news:D hhgr73210v@news2.newsguy.com...