Q6600 on a Abit IP35 pro mobo

Richy0money

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
ok so i want to maximize my quad core 2.4ghz Q6600 on a Abit IP35 pro board, lots of overclocking potential, but haven't overclocked since my last build (AMD). figured there wasnt enough of a gain in the newer faster procs. is it worth while in real world tests? i use some design prgrams Photoshop, moviemaker, ect. i also play games, but i figured that they mostly rely on on the gpu, and im not messin with the gpu's no gain im aware of anymore (not since you could unlock the pipes back in the 6800 era). oh my rig:

Q6600 2.4ghz
Abit IP35pro mobo
ocz ddr2 1gb x 4 (dual channel)
pci-e tv tuner (hd)
soundblaster audigy 2 96khz 24bit, that may be wrong, but close.
sli msi nx8800gt (slim)
deskstar 320gb 7200rpm(only use deskstars in my builds)
kingston 64gb SSD v-series
2x DVD-rw NEC

im new to overclocking intel, and i have a stock cooler, but i have two large fans one in the front blowing in(6 inch) and one in the front blowing out (6inch) i also have a tube blowing in on the side directly on the cpu. my psu is 600Watt, and is very good design, littered with holes and fans blowing in and down on the cpu. my enclosure is a heavy black antec, very solid. anyway, heat is not an issue. and its a tank, it takes me kicking it.
i had fun playing with it.

well anyway,anyone want to help me approach my overclocking issue? should i? shoudnt i? will i get any satisfaction from it if i dont give a sh.. about benchmark scores? i want to increase my real performance with what i have.

talk to me people.

-Richy

Yes, you will see real world gains from overclocking both your CPU and GPU.

Your Q6600 is a highly overclockable CPU.
With a decent cooler, you should be able to take your CPU to 3.2-3.6Ghz, maybe even higher.
This will defiantly speed up Photoshop, moviemaker and other CPU intensive programs.

Your GPU is also highly overclockable (although the current heat sink is not so great).
You can probably get 10-20% more performance out of it with little effort.
While it may not be a deal breaker for your gaming, it will be a definite boost.

Your best place to start would be reading the stickies.
There is one dedicated to overclocking Core2 CPU's and one dedicated to GPU overclocking.
The process is not very difficult for either but if you have any issues after reading the stickies, post them and we will help you out.

Richy0money

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

yeah, i did alot of research. i can't find any positive results in real world application with oc'ing the gains are marginal if at all, and only show up in benchmarks designed to keep you crazed for the latest and greatest.

rborowik

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have overclocked my Q6600 to 3.6Ghz (http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=628455) and it does make a difference. To start with it should be easy enough to get it to 3Ghz often without any adjustments to the voltage.

You will need a good cooler though and the stickies are worth reading, its where i learnt how to overclock a few weeks back.