Need urgent help with my computer!

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Im sorry if this is not the right section to put this in but i really need some help.

About 10 months ago I custom built a machine with the following specs:
Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz
Antec 900 Case
Asus P5N32 E-Sli Plus Mobo
Corsair 2Gb XMS2 PC6400
EZCool 650W PSU
BFG 8800 Ultra
Seagate 160Gb 7200rpm SATA HDD

Last Night i was playing Medal of Honor Airboure, it was running smoothly and then suddenly my computer just immediatly turned off (ut out). I tried to turn it on again but with no succes there was just no response. So i tried different plugs, power cable and different multi plugs. This didnt work so thought something could be short curciting so u carefully pulled everything out the case and plugged it back in again, this still didnt work.. On this build I didnt spend as much as i should have on the PSU! So i think that the PSU might have gone. can someone please, please help me confirm that it is my PSU, or anything else.

Thanks

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You're lucky that crap psu lasted that long. Buy a a new quality brand psu (Corsair is a good choice). Pray that the old psu didn't fry your system when it died.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Definitely get the Corsair TX 650W. Very good psu. And yes I'd bet money that your psu died. It had only 18A on the 12V+ rails. I'm surprised your system even ran and lasted 10mo.

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I had that with my old Qtec- Dual fan gold, NEVER will i EVER buy a cheap/ crap quality brand PSU anymore. The Corsairs are very good powersupplies, and they don't cost you an arm! If somebody chooses a cheap/ crap quality branded PSU, Eventually will pay more because the PSU might blow your motherboard and components up.

That happened with my old pc, Motherboard died, and my Geforce6600GT, must say that it lasted long, 3 years. But when it died, it ruined nearly everything.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Stay away from the Cooler Master power supplies, their quality is erratic at best. A safe buy is the Corsair TX 750, reasonably priced and good quality for your money. As many people have already said, don't cheap out on the power supply. Its sorta like trying to run a high performance sports car with an old Chevette engine.

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I realised it was a bad move once I had built the machine, and it was my first build so, I will have to learn from my mistakes. Im gunna buy the Corsair TX 750, and hope that my system hasn't been fried! :??:

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I can still see the power lights on my motherboard, is that a good or bad thing? Can the PSU failing really fry your computer. Wouldn't the fuses blow first?

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

Fuses rely on excess current being drawn to melt a wire and breaking a circut. This can take several seconds or more, depending on the current flow.
All the Mobo needs to fry is a power surge over its rails lasting less than a second, the fuse won't cut out in time.
Luckily alot of Mobos can do emergency shutdowns and the like to prevent damage, but damage can still occur.

Really you want RCD switches installed in your house, but even they can take too long to trip.

pingu12

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I do have RCD switches in my house and my computer is plugged into a multi plug with surge protector.. so i HOPE my pc has not been fried!

random_2

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Yep....that sounds like a PSU problem alright.... Damned things!

I second..or third...maybe even forth the Corsair TX750. They are affordable, reliable, have long cables and lots of power, (60 amps on the 12V rail).

Chances are you'll be good to go when you put your new Corsair TX 750 in!!!

No I don't work for them, but I do have one in my rig. :)

The Canuck

g45uk2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
this PSU is crap ive gone threw 3 of theese things all lasted no longer than a month, why i trusted a second is beyond me but a third was sheer stupidity, but there you go on how trust worthy theese peices of s**t are.
stay well away any one who is thinking of getting one.
im now ordering Coolermaster RealPower 700W Modular PSU
which will be much better and i should have got in the first place :pfff: