Sign in with
Your question

Systray Icon?

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
November 23, 2010 3:48:42 AM

Hi Everybody- I'm having the darndest time with this icon disappearing from the notification area. It is the Tune-Up Utilities icon for said program. I use it a lot to engage the Turbo mode. I have tried uninstalling via Add/Remove and getting rid of all traces in regedit, and reinstalling. Even an ms35 certified tech couldn't figure it out. I have even checked the SSDP and UpnP settings, all to no avail. Support at TUU is of no help, either. I am aware of the Windows XP bugs and glitches that surround this icon issue and have tried all of the 'fixes' from www.winhlp.com. My OS is the Windows XP x32 Pro SP3 and it is a clean install. Other than the occasional malware getting snagged by STOPzilla and avast, I really do not have any issues with trojans and what have you. Malwarbytes, STOPzilla, and avast do a good job of getting rid of them. I'm pretty sure they are more than likely false/positives anyway.
Is there someone out there who can help me with the 'Case of the Missing Systray Icon' please???...I would be eternally greatful to you!
Thank you so much in advance-
TimW :??: 

More about : systray icon

November 23, 2010 4:37:53 AM

Microsoft’s solution will disable the SSDP Discovery Service, which caused new devices on the network cannot be found automatically.

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click Properties.
5. On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
6. Click OK.
m
l
November 23, 2010 5:36:48 AM

thanks 'henydiah'- we'll give it a shot and post the results. have a good one!
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2010 5:43:22 AM

hmmmm- didn't work. maybe now i should uninstall and try a fresh install.
m
l
November 23, 2010 7:27:01 AM

- restore u can do it sellect date last stable
- install from recovery disk

m
l
November 23, 2010 7:29:07 AM

This is known problem, or a bug of Windows XP. It has nothing to do with Hide Inactive Icons that tidy up your notification area.

Cause

The exact cause for the problem is unknown. According to Microsoft, the problem can be caused by the Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) which discovers Universal Plug and Play devices on your network.

However, Microsoft Knowledge Base may not exactly the same symptom with notification area icons do not appearing issue, as it also has other symptoms:

* The pointer changes to an hour glass when you move it over the taskbar.
* Some icons do not appear in the notification area.
* When you click Start, nothing happens.
* The Start button does not work for several minutes, and then it starts to work.
* When you restart the computer, the icons in the notification area are missing. If you log off and log on with the same user account, the icons appear.
* When you click any icon in the Quick Launch bar immediately after starting the computer, the pointer changes to an hourglass.

Solutions

Possible solutions are many, although none confirmed to be working perfectly. If you have the symptoms as mentioned by Microsoft above, you can try out resolution suggested by Microsoft to resolve this behavior. Note that Microsoft’s solution will disable the SSDP Discovery Service, which caused new devices on the network cannot be found automatically.

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click Properties.
5. On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
6. Click OK.

If it doesn’t work, the alternative would be disable both SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug and Play Device Host. Repeat the above steps for both services.

You may try to choose Automatic at step 5 instead of Disabled, as it’s reported some people has success with this.

If you need Universal Plug and Play services and wouldn’t want to disable it, Francesco Ostuni suggested Ostuni Workaround which does not disable the uPNP service. The steps as below (only applicable on Windows XP with Service Pack 2):

1. Open My Network Places.
2. Click Hide Icons for Networked uPnP Devices at the Tasks panel.
3. For Windows Classic theme users, click Tools and the Folder Options in Windows Explorer, and then select Show Common Tasks in Folders to see the option specified in step 2.

Or,

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
4. Select Networking Services.
5. Click Details button.
6. Uncheck (remove) the UPnP User Interface.
7. Click OK.

The most reliable way to solve the problem is to logout and then login again to Windows XP.

If you don’t want to logout and login Windows XP after starting the PC, Disable Automatic Logon is a possible way to solve the issue by the following steps:

1. Click on Start.
2. Click on Run.
3. Type “control userpasswords2″.
4. Click OK.
5. Check (Select) Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
6. Click OK.

Other solutions suggested including using of programs that manage the timing,sequence and delay of programs loaded on startup of Windows XP. Some programs are Tech-Pro Utilities Startup, Startup Delayer, StartUp Organizer and Startup Guru.

If you’re missing all icons in notification area, check if it’s due to system tray been disabled.
m
l
November 23, 2010 10:14:46 AM

Right click on the taskbar-->properties-->customize-->find the application in the list-->change the 'behavior' column to 'always showing'
m
l
November 23, 2010 10:56:54 AM

aford10' this doesn't work- that is one of the worst panel options known to xp...thanks anyway!
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:43:48 AM

What do you mean, it doesn't work? If you want an icon to always display next to the clock in the taskbar, that's how to do it.
m
l
November 23, 2010 4:26:25 PM

Well, what I mean is....it doesn't work! For whatever reason, both of our XP machines do not acknowledge the commands in the 'customize' button. Yes, the icon I originally referred to is in 'past items' and, yes, it is marked always show. I just don't understand it. In the past when this has happened, I just uninstalled Tune Up Utilities, removed the trace from the registry and reinstalled. The icon appeared then. But now, that doesn't work....To the best of my knowledge, I haven't disabled anything. Here is an interesting article about this issue, which is a well known XP glitch: http://winhlp.com/node/16
m
l
November 23, 2010 4:28:27 PM

By the way, aford10...I really liked the Guide for Removing Malware. I was amazed at the results and the power of Combofix! Thanks!
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:19:53 PM

Glad you found it helpful! :) 

Have you ran the ccleaner registry tool?
m
l
November 24, 2010 2:33:01 AM

Yes I have....burned a lot of midnight oil last night. Got hit hard with 31 infections from God only knows where. The Combofix is incredible! The issue presented in the original post is solved. Uninstalled avast! and purged the registry and re-installed. Tune-up Utilities the same, with the exception of running 'services.msc' and enabling manual mode. The 'catchme' trojans (15!) and the hijacker that got my reg. really did a job. Now, I am having issues with disc drive(s) autoplay and autorun. Just can't get them to fire up when inserting a disc in the bay(s). Man, I'm glad this is in the General Discussions dept.! Any advice on this problem? I have done all I know how to do in regedit and the 'normal' Windows fixes (through device prop's, etc).
Thanks for your interest(?) in my problems.
TimW ;) 
m
l
November 24, 2010 1:02:55 PM

Good Mornin', aford10!....I'll check it out, thanks...
m
l
November 24, 2010 1:28:27 PM

After looking at the specifications, checking my notes, and verifying the registry, those are the values that are inputted in my system. The hardware is functional if I go to My Computer>E: or F:>click drive(highlight)>File>Open>Rt. click track>play. This is time consuming and a bunch of bs! I used to just have to plug media into drive bay and an option window opened and asked me what to do, or if it was a music cd it would take me to Media player- DVD, it would ask if I wanted DVDFab 8 or play using Media player. Yesterday, I had an ms35 tech from iS3 look at it via live remote (www.logmein123.com) and he is stumped. Said he would research it over night and call me back. He is going to run the same ts procedures that I did, no doubt. I do not take the ms updates anymore because I have this gut feeling this has something to do with the problem. If so, there should be a way to undo them.
Thanks You,
TimW
m
l
!