Sign in with
Your question

computer for graphics work

Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2008 10:02:24 PM

Hey guys, don't know if anyone here do 3d modeling or video editing. But I'm considering building a new computer for the first time and I am stuck on whether I should buy a motherboard that supports 1 or 2 cpu. The price difference between the two is enormous, even more so when that motherboard supports sli or crossfire, which I would like. And when you add in the extra money I have to spend for 2 cpu, the price is really astronomical. So for anyone out there who does this line of work, do you guys think its worth it to get a computer with 2 cpu's?

p.s. I'm planning to get the xeon processors if i'm gonna do 2 cpu, do they handle gaming well?

More about : computer graphics work

September 7, 2008 10:06:35 PM

I can't comment on graphical work, because I use my PC basically as a toy for playing games and watching movies. I guess you would have to check with the applications that you use to make sure that they can take advantage of all the processing power, if they do, then I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

Xeons are geared a bit towards the server workload, but they should be more than able to handle any gaming just fine.
September 7, 2008 10:21:16 PM

software, budget, professional/amateur-enthusiast work?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2008 10:39:49 PM

^+1. Please list budget and software you plan to run.
September 7, 2008 10:43:40 PM

2500 budget, going to be using maya, after effects, premier, photoshop, possibly zbrush in the future
September 7, 2008 10:43:55 PM

He answered the budget part a few seconds before I did :p 
a c 309 à CPUs
September 7, 2008 11:40:12 PM

If you are considering 1 or 2 cpu's, I imagine that your workload is cpu intensive, and can benefit from multiple cpu's. If that is the case, wait until October when nehalem/I7 launches. The new cpu's will be quad core with hyperthreading, meaning that you will be able to dispatch 8 tasks at the same time.
September 7, 2008 11:53:34 PM

I'm going to second geofelt's response. I would wait until the next CPU gen and stick with a single CPU setup. Most of those dual cpu server boards aren't the best for gaming, they're pretty huge so you would need to make sure it would fit in your case. Of course you then have the large power requirement issues as running 2x quad core cpu's etc, which means you'll need to buy a more powerful PSU, which adds even more $$$.

Basically its going to be a severe trickle down effect. Unless you're plannin on doing some seriously intensive apps like AutoCAD, 3D modeling type software, professional level video editing, etc. Then you are wasting your money.
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2008 2:20:36 AM

where did he say he gamed??
September 8, 2008 2:22:49 AM

On the last line of the first post?
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2008 2:40:46 AM

With a 2500.00 budget you need to carefully choose what you buy. Going with a dual cpu mobo and the cpus to go in it will take most of that at this point.

Im with the others that suggested waiting. This will buy you time to increase your budget and give you a better selection of parts to choose from when new release parts become available...
September 8, 2008 7:42:18 AM

wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I totally agree with waiting. Actually, I was planning on getting one at the beginning of summer until someone told me to wait for the radeon graphics cards that would blow nvidia away! I do 3d animations a lot, its actually my major and my current job. I have a project due at the end of september so I do need to do alot of rendering, which is why I opted for the dual cpu setup. I just really wanted to kno how much of a boost in rendering speed and time I would get by getting dual cpu, i'm using maya software rendering. On the other hand, waiting for the next gen processors would not be a bad idea, when does it come out? If a single one of those can perform just as well as any processor right now, then I might as well buy a decent cpu right now with a single cpu mobo and wait it out. I guess it all depends on how good the new cpu is and when its coming out.
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2008 11:29:43 AM

I would suspect maybe a 20% performance increase give or take a few percent. It should be a worthwile wait if you are using an earlier processor than the C2D now.

You will best benefit with an OpenGL video card. This is one of the requrements for maya. Depending on the version you have will depend on what your need to a degree. You could likely get your questions better answered by going to Autodesks website and contacting them by email and start a ticket with your question about wether or not the program would benefit from a dual cpu setup.

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/forums/viewcategory/...

I think you will get a faster response from this site if you contact customer service thru an email or ticket rather than simply posting in the forum. It appears some members are complaining about not getting answers in the forum when they need it...
September 8, 2008 5:43:05 PM

well, i checked some of the forums for cpus and their performances in relation to Maya and other software, they are saying that CPUs like the Q9450 are only slightly worse than the xeon for the job, while being significantly cheaper. Is it possible to put two q9450 in the server motherboard? or does it HAVE to be xeon. Also, if i just get a single cpu mobo, when the new cpu comes out, will the mobo be able to support it or does the new cpu need some new mobo?
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2008 6:25:00 PM

^Depends on motherboard.

My recommendations:
Q6600
P45-DS3R (or even DS3L if no need for RAID)
4850/4870
10k RPM(scratch disk/OS) + 2*WD 640GB AAKS (data) in RAID
Antec 300/900
Corsair or PC Power & Cooling PSU bigger than 550W. (ie PP&C 750)
8GB DDR2 800 RAM (I do hope you are going to be running a x64 OS)

If planing to OC: XIGMATEK S1283 + bolt in kit.

Imo, generally if going for a 2P system you need $4k or so for a quality setup.

September 8, 2008 6:37:21 PM

With a $2500 budget, I would go for a single processor setup.

For the stuff you're doing, a single quad core will do. Either a q6600 with intentions of overclocking, or a Q9550.

Pretty much what shadow says above would be great. If you would like RAID, I recommend using a separate controller. You should probably use a RAID 5 config, and that's just bad mojo with onboard supported controllers.

+1 for 8gb DDR2 800. And 64 bit vista is a must. Photoshop CS4 flies on it.

Use all the money you saved to buy yourself a nice graphics tablet, and maybe a second monitor.
September 8, 2008 8:40:31 PM

timw86 said:
well, i checked some of the forums for cpus and their performances in relation to Maya and other software, they are saying that CPUs like the Q9450 are only slightly worse than the xeon for the job, while being significantly cheaper. Is it possible to put two q9450 in the server motherboard? or does it HAVE to be xeon. Also, if i just get a single cpu mobo, when the new cpu comes out, will the mobo be able to support it or does the new cpu need some new mobo?

Nehalem will run on upcoming LGA 1366 boards, so no luck there :(  For server boards you will need to run Xeons since the socket is different (LGA 771 vs LGA 775). I haven't heard of dual socket LGA775.
September 8, 2008 8:57:07 PM

NO, if your going to use maya get a card design for the job like a fireGL or a Quadro. a 4850 would be eaten alive.

i would proberly wait til nahalem for this one considering your budget is of size.
September 8, 2008 9:26:42 PM

emp said:
Nehalem will run on upcoming LGA 1366 boards, so no luck there :(  For server boards you will need to run Xeons since the socket is different (LGA 771 vs LGA 775). I haven't heard of dual socket LGA775.

well, what i mean is that I really need to get a computer now so I can render some of my files. Seems like right now the thing to get would be a single processor, not a dual. But I do want to get the nehalem when it comes out. Will that processor be able to run on the motherboard that I buy now? or does it have to have a x58 motherboard to run? The point is, if I have to get a whole new board to run the new cpu, i'd rather wait until they both come out before I buy. And does anyone know exactly when the nehalem comes out? I hear Q4 2008, but that could be anytime between oct to dec...
September 8, 2008 9:40:16 PM

You will need one of the upcoming LGA1366 boards to run nehalem, currently we have only LGA 775 boards only compatible with LGA 775 CPUs (Completely different socket size and pin count). (You won't be able to run a Nehalem CPU on any existing boards)

I honestly see Nehalem launch just like the penryn launch in Q4 2007 last year. It was paper launched around Oct 2007 I think, and then available around early Q1 2009. I can see Nehalem being launched around november with very little availability, and will really start surfacing in retail channels in mid Q1 2009. That's just my opinion based on Intel previous launches.
September 9, 2008 3:40:23 AM

do you guys know how much its gonna cost?
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2008 4:00:39 AM

If you can save another 500-1000 between now and release you should have enough money to get a very sweet setup...
a c 309 à CPUs
September 9, 2008 4:08:27 AM

Thw 1000 tray unit price is supposed to be $284 for the 2.66ghz cpu. I expect that a X58 motherboard will be about the same as a current premium X48 at $300 or so.
Add in 6gb of DDR3 at about $250.
September 9, 2008 2:24:58 PM

I don't understand the point in waiting for nehalem. For the price of a ddr3 nehalem system, you can easily build a core 2 system today that will match it's performance, or surpass it if you overclock. I don't care if the tray price of a nehalem cpu is $5, availability won't be there, and they'll retail well over $500 for at least 6 months. And as far as buying a $2k workstation graphics card to run Maya; if you work for a company that requires you to use Maya, make them buy you a workstation card. If not, get a 4850 and call it a day. (or consider an nvidia card for CUDA support). All of the other images and design programs you use will work perfectly fine on a current quad core. There's no reason to waste money on the first gen of a new cpu. The core2 system will still be more than relevant in 2 years.

The extra money in your budget would be better spent on a really nice monitor. Something that will display colors correctly, and has a lot of desktop realestate.
!