Sign in with
Your question

Lost RAID after BIOS update.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2008 3:00:30 PM

I'm at work right now so I'm trying to remember as much as I can, please bear with me.

I have an ASUS P5E with newest BIOS 0903 and 2x WD Caviar 750GB HDD in RAID 1 and RAID 0 config (Intel Matrix Management).

I was having some CPU/MB temp problems, the temps didn't sinc with other readings. After checking some of the threads here, it looked like I needed to update my BIOS. After the restart everything loaded up fine until I tried to access something on my RAID 0. When I went to 'My Computer' I didn't see RAID 1 and RAID 0 drives, instead I saw the partitioned parts of both drives that made up the RAID 1. I went into my BIOS and my SATA config was in IDE not RAID. I put the drives back to RAID, checked Intel Matrix and went through start-up. Windows wouldn't start, needed the disc, the repair couldn't find the OS and didn't run. After a couple tries I put my drives back to IDE so I could get some files onto my external, incase I had to wipe the computer. I got the same problem with start-up, except this time the repair worked. Now everytime I start my computer up I have to select which recovered OS to use (one on both drives from the RAID 1) and it goes through a chkdsk. When I check the Intel Matrix software it says it can't run becuase the drivers aren't installed, I downloaded the drivers but they won't install because I don't have the minimum system requirements.

I've talked to the network guys at work and they say I'll probably have to wipe the system and start over. I'd like to make sure that after I wipe everything I can still get my RAIDs to work, or did the new BIOS mess up the Intel Matrix. Not many here have dealt with RAIDs let alone the Intel Martix (I get a confused look from them on that).

Also I'd like to verify the steps for formatting the drives; delete the RAID, make a new RAID, format, after that I should be able to start from scratch?

If anyone can come up with something else for me to try please let me know. Thanks for any help in advance.

More about : lost raid bios update

October 9, 2008 1:42:31 AM

First of all you either have RAID 1 or RAID 0? From what you saying it must be RAID-1 because otherwise your machine wouldnt have booted with the hdd set to IDE (instead of RAID). Your problem is when you flashed the BIOS all settings go back to default. So your RAID option went to IDE, hence the problem starting. Now that you have recovered windows and done god knows what else, it would be best to start from scratch. Backup your data, re-create the array and re-install windows on it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2009 5:51:20 PM

I had a similar problem after updating bios on my Asus P5Q Pro. Since all the Raid settings was put back to IDE I ended up with two disks instead of a Raid set. Just setting the bios to Raid makes the computer not wanting to boot.
This is what I did to resolve the problem:

I made a note on wich disk that now became the system disk. disk 0 or disk 1. Typically it will be disk 0.
I went in to the Raid config (Ctrl-I) and removed disk 1 from the Raid-volume.
The raid set is still active now, but with only one disk, and the second one as "degrade volume"
Then I reinstalled disk 1 to the mirror raid set.
Now the array started to rebuild and I could boot into windows again.

Just be sure to make a copy of all important data first!

/Per-Ola, Sweden
Related resources
May 12, 2009 6:07:47 PM

Quote:
I had a similar problem after updating bios on my Asus P5Q Pro. Since all the Raid settings was put back to IDE I ended up with two disks instead of a Raid set. Just setting the bios to Raid makes the computer not wanting to boot.
This is what I did to resolve the problem:

I made a note on wich disk that now became the system disk. disk 0 or disk 1. Typically it will be disk 0.
I went in to the Raid config (Ctrl-I) and removed disk 1 from the Raid-volume.
The raid set is still active now, but with only one disk, and the second one as "degrade volume"
Then I reinstalled disk 1 to the mirror raid set.
Now the array started to rebuild and I could boot into windows again.

Just be sure to make a copy of all important data first!

/Per-Ola, Sweden

A big thanks for the above. I recently had this happen on a clients computer. I updated the bios which reset the raid back to IDE on a P5Q. When the OS was supposed to load I got a missing hal.dll error.

I tried the above steps which worked. Once Windows booted back up the intel matrix raid software began the rebuild - thanks a bunch, saved me a bigger headach.
July 5, 2009 3:46:43 PM

chookman said:
First of all you either have RAID 1 or RAID 0? From what you saying it must be RAID-1 because otherwise your machine wouldnt have booted with the hdd set to IDE (instead of RAID). Your problem is when you flashed the BIOS all settings go back to default. So your RAID option went to IDE, hence the problem starting. Now that you have recovered windows and done god knows what else, it would be best to start from scratch. Backup your data, re-create the array and re-install windows on it.

I have the same problem, but I have deleted the array settings in the RAID hardware config utility and can't remember the original settings. Is there a way to recover them from the MBR?

I have installed an extra drive to be able to see the harddisks used in the array fysicaly, not logicaly only to recover files. But before I do, I want to recover the original settings and Try to set the array right in the hope it works.

Kind regards,

Jeroenski
July 5, 2009 3:47:49 PM

chookman said:

I have the same problem, but I have deleted the array settings in the RAID hardware config utility and can't remember the original settings. Is there a way to recover them from the MBR?

I have installed an extra drive to be able to see the harddisks used in the array fysicaly, not logicaly only to recover files. But before I do, I want to recover the original settings and Try to set the array right in the hope it works.

Kind regards,

Jeroenski
July 5, 2009 3:48:13 PM

chookman said:

Kind regards,

Jeroenski
!