Sign in with
Your question

user-account-issues

Last response: in Windows XP
November 23, 2010 10:05:09 AM

Hi

I am trying to use Windows Easy Transfer to move my files, accounts etc. from my old PC with XP to my new PC which has Windows 7. However when I try to open Windows Easy Transfer it gives the following:You're currently logged on using a temporary profile. Restart your computer and start again. However this does not make any difference. I am logged in with an administrator account so can someone help me to get Windows Easy Transfer to open
Thanks

Big Al

More about : user account issues

a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2010 10:59:44 AM

WinXP locks all account info except the one you have logged into.
As administrator you can create a new account and modify how windows operates, you still can not access someones user account. You need to be logged in under that account to access any of the info: Favorites,My documents, etc...
You need to log into your account and then transfer.
November 23, 2010 12:03:09 PM

mhelm1 said:
WinXP locks all account info except the one you have logged into.
As administrator you can create a new account and modify how windows operates, you still can not access someones user account. You need to be logged in under that account to access any of the info: Favorites,My documents, etc...
You need to log into your account and then transfer.

I am logged in through my user account with admin rights but I cannot open Windows easy transfer due to it saying I am logged in with a temporary profile, whatever that is! I am using XP home premium, don't know if that makes a difference.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 23, 2010 1:16:29 PM

I have easy transfer on Windows 7 as well but cannot connect cable until Easy Transfer opens on XP which it won't. XP is SP3.
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2010 1:29:28 PM

As a test set up a different user in XP, reinstall under that user. Same?
November 23, 2010 2:02:10 PM

mhelm1 said:
As a test set up a different user in XP, reinstall under that user. Same?

Yes. Still the same. I think it is my PC and that the registry or whatever is not reading profiles properly. Probably just have to transfer files via portable harddrive. Thanks anyway.
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2010 2:17:45 PM

You could use a mem stick or if you have a day, go to Western Digital web site:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en
select your drive and get their cloning software. If drive has more data than OCZ you could pare it down to fit.
!