user-account-issues

Hi

I am trying to use Windows Easy Transfer to move my files, accounts etc. from my old PC with XP to my new PC which has Windows 7. However when I try to open Windows Easy Transfer it gives the following:You're currently logged on using a temporary profile. Restart your computer and start again. However this does not make any difference. I am logged in with an administrator account so can someone help me to get Windows Easy Transfer to open
Thanks

Big Al
9 answers Last reply
More about user account issues
  1. WinXP locks all account info except the one you have logged into.
    As administrator you can create a new account and modify how windows operates, you still can not access someones user account. You need to be logged in under that account to access any of the info: Favorites,My documents, etc...
    You need to log into your account and then transfer.
  2. mhelm1 said:
    WinXP locks all account info except the one you have logged into.
    As administrator you can create a new account and modify how windows operates, you still can not access someones user account. You need to be logged in under that account to access any of the info: Favorites,My documents, etc...
    You need to log into your account and then transfer.

I am logged in through my user account with admin rights but I cannot open Windows easy transfer due to it saying I am logged in with a temporary profile, whatever that is! I am using XP home premium, don't know if that makes a difference.
  3. mhelm1 said:

Yes. Came on a CD with Belkin Easy Transfer cable. Also tried download from Microsoft, still does not work. I think it must be something to do with XP or Windows Easy Transfer misreading my profile!
  4. You should be using easy transfer on the Win7 machine:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Transfer-files-and-settings-from-another-computer
    XP also has to be at lease SP2
  5. I have easy transfer on Windows 7 as well but cannot connect cable until Easy Transfer opens on XP which it won't. XP is SP3.
  6. As a test set up a different user in XP, reinstall under that user. Same?
  7. mhelm1 said:
    As a test set up a different user in XP, reinstall under that user. Same?

Yes. Still the same. I think it is my PC and that the registry or whatever is not reading profiles properly. Probably just have to transfer files via portable harddrive. Thanks anyway.
  8. You could use a mem stick or if you have a day, go to Western Digital web site:
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en
    select your drive and get their cloning software. If drive has more data than OCZ you could pare it down to fit.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Windows XP