BSOD while basic internet browsing or idle

onyxdragoon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hello, the PC I built seems to BSOD about once a week. Usually it was on Mondays at any given time. Now it happened again Tuesday. The bsod flashes to quick for me to catch anything but "inpage". I also ran chkdsk and sfc. I want to assume it is the hard drive even though chkdsk showed no problems. I do have two minidumps to provide, but I can't seem to find any attachment icon to upload them.

Here are my current specs with everything at stock:
Windows 7 Professional x64
Asus P8P67 EVO B3
i5 2500K
GTX 560 Ti
640 GB WD Green w/ OS
500 GB Seagate Barracuda
2x2GB DDR3 1333Hz
650W

Lastly, I think I should not be using a Green HDD with the OS but there is a story to that. I will use a 7200RPM HDD if that is indeed the problem.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
depends what you BSOD error code really is...I went through 4 different issues before i could get rid of the BSOD screens

1st; BSOD error code F4 - this indicates a bad HDD or a faulty psu or a bad cpu
2nd; BSOD error code 0x101 - this indicate a lack ont he CPU vcore
3rd; BSOD code 0x124 - this means the IMC voltages are either too high or not enough - try setting it to 1.20V

try follow this thread of mine, in the last post you can pick up on the BSOD error codes (esp for a 2nd gen core i rig)

hope this is of some help

if all else fails, please try and post on sevenforums.com they were able to give me a good amount of support.

onyxdragoon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Would I have to find the error code on the screen itself or would it be in the event viewer somewhere?

Also, even with stock settings, voltages could not be set correctly?

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
if the BSOD is too fast to ctah by the naked eye :lol:

try these;

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
Go to Advanced
Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

second piece of advice;
can you google in the model/series number for the Seagate HDD? I found my Seagate 250GB HDD defective...though it was a few years old thas why the HDD developed a bad sector and gave me the F4 BSOD.

then i stumbled across the Samsung HD204UI Firmware issue that also gave BSOD's and data losses, but thankfully i had the latest firmware update on the HD204UI. So...that would be my second tip. As of late, Seagate has been raking in bad rep for its HDD's...so go figure bro :)

onyxdragoon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Ok, thank you
I am reading your thread now.

I believe the model number is ST3500320AS ATA according to the device manager.

If I understand right, you want me to upgrade the firmware? I should back up my things then if that is the case.
Also, this may be related, when I try to backup my PC using Windows built in backup system it will fail. I did a little research and it is possible my Seagate causes it to fail, but that problem can wait till the BSOD is fixed unless they are directly related.

onyxdragoon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I assume it ended up being a bad hard drive. I ended up running chkdsk /f /r again and with 5 hours of scanning it never got pass through the first phase with lots of unreable segments and even if I ran in safe mode it was extremely slow. I was still able to access it so I will just try to get any files I might need. In my first post I may have gotten mixed up which drives I checked, my apologies.

Thank you for your help guys.