buddythesquirrel

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
The monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS aren't included cause I already have them. Clicky clicky. I'm hoping to be able to make this as future-proof as possible, at least a year before I would have to upgrade anything. I'm planning on selling the PC I have now (Crappy insides in a good case) so I'll put the parts from that in the Rosewill case then put this build in the Raidmax Ninja case that I already have. Anyway take a look and let me know what you think! Thanks :)

xshyguyx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
4GB is fine. The only time where too much ram is a problem overclocking is if you have 4 sticks. Since it's 2 sticks of dual channel (they work together) you will be fine (no difference).

What is the difference between 2x2 gigs dual channel vs 1x4gigs dual channel?

Someone needs to dumb that down for me. If all 4 sticks are the same size and are dual channel it should work the same.

You just want to matching ram in oposing slots to activate dual channel.

BobfaceBilly

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
I pretty sure its because its putting a harder load on the chipset, since it has to run 4 ram lanes instead of just the 2.

At OP: I'm not so sure that motherboard is a great idea... However I'm no expert on amd mobos, so someone else would have to recommend something.

buddythesquirrel

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Alright I am now changing this to an Intel build, had to make some compromises but now after MIRs, shipping and a combo it comes down to about $570. It's still the same wishlist link though so critique away :)

xshyguyx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Great choice of CPU!

There is a problem with that Mobo when it comes to rebooting (it has some kind of glitch that makes you have to reset the Bios). This is a major problem if you plan to overclock down the line. I'd go with the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L. It runs the 45nm chips flawlessly and is very reliable. The only thing it lacks is a pci-e 2.0 slot, but you will see very little difference between that and a pci-e x16. Also, the Gigabyte is $10 less

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Get 4GB of DDR2-800 instead of the 2GB of DDR2-667. If you can't find the extra cash for 4GB, then 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.2v is good and will allow upgrade to 4x1GB that's much faster than the one you picked and is just dollars more.

Both Toms and AnandTech are coming out with shoot out reviews of the P45 in the next few days, be worthwhile to see what they both say. Good build, great bang for the buck. I prefer the intel build.

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I think you would be better served by this OCZ 600 watt unit. Google it, it is considered a serious bargain, and it currently has a serious rebate. I am very happy with mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

I am not sure if you changed your configuration, but I don't see the 4 GB of RAM that is referenced above. When I click on your link, I see DDR667 RAM, which would be a major mistake with that kick-#ss e7200 of yours. I just bought 4 GB of OCZ Reaper RAM, with a huge $35 rebate. 2 x 2 RAM is the way to go with overclocking, and this is a killer price. Just got it this week, and it was a great move for me. For a $17 difference, it is a no-brainer and worth getting on many levels.

Good luck and enjoy!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
He originally had 2x2GB of RAM and an AMD build but switched over to Intel but needed to skimp on memory to get a E7200 and an Intel motherboard. I think 2x2GB is well worth the extra cash.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Get the OCZ Platinum ddr2-800 4-4-4-15 ram instead. Only $11 more. Faster ram and will allows you to oc the e7200 higher.

buddythesquirrel

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
@ Shyguy: PCI-E x16 and x16 2.0 are forwards and backward compatible right? So the 4850 would work fine in that mobo?

@ husky: I heard from someone on hardforums say that OCZ is bad, here: "
Avoid all OCZ --XStream power supplies. They are all based off the FSP Epsilon PSU, which is known to produce out-of-spec voltage fluctuations, or ripple, at high loads. Ripple weakens and kills components over time, so those power suppies are not worth the risk. For around the same price as the 600W StealthXStream you were considering, you could go with either the Corsair VX550W or the new Antec Earthwatts 650W power supply.
"

@ pcgamer12: I'm thinking of just upgrading my current PC instead of buying a whole new one now (pretty much replacing everything besides case and RAM) and I got some OCZ DDR2 800 2x1GB "Reaper" in there so I'll be good on that.