Another Power Supply Question

nobody1627

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Hello:

I recently purchased an HP m8307 media center computer. Since I got it at a decent price, I've been looking into a couple of upgrades. I popped a 8600GT in I already had; but, I am thinking I would like to move to a 8800GT soon (or something similar).

I tried to find out the power supply rating for the HP; but, HP doesn't seem to like to list that (I guess that is pretty common). From what I can determine, it probably has about a 350 watt supply, which seems pretty low already. I understand cards like the 8800GT require a separate connection to the power supply as well, which the HP power supply most likely doesn't have (and even if it does it still is underpowered for cards like the 8800GT I understand).

I don't need anything fancy with lights or anything. I also am not trying to go cheap; but, am trying to get a lot of "bang for the buck" (those graphics cards aren't cheap afterall). It seems strange these computers tend to come with such low power supplies. I understand saving a few bucks here and there for the company; but, it would seem these HPs are underpowered by quite a bit (unless I am mistaken).

Some specs: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 500 GB HD (7200), Vista

Recommendations for "bang for the buck"? I imagine I am looking for about 500 - 550 watts correct? A couple of times a few kind and knowledgable people on message boards have pointed me in the right direction which always has been much appreciated! Thanks to anyone who responds ahead of time!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's good, 450W is more than enough. Your system will actually pull less than 350W under full load with an 8800GT, but an over-capacity power supply will run cooler and last longer.

Fortron Source used to be the best value for that size, but I doubt they are any longer.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
A PSU with a bit of overhead would be a good investment. With 300 watt eating GPU's out in the wild now it would be worth looking at a higher wattage PSU.
Really good PSU's considered to be the gold standard of PSU's are the ones made buy PCPower.
I like the 750 watt quad and they are not to much more than the Corsair at $110 from Newegg shipped after rebate.

+1 for the Corsair 450VX or better.
Hell of a PSU at a good price.
Most PSU's from Corsair, PCP&C, Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone and the Antec Earthwatts lines are of the highest quality and should be what you consider first. A cheap PSU should be avoided at all costs.

nobody1627

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I didn't expect to see quite so many power supply options when I finally went to take a closer look.

Is there a consensus on the "good" brands? Corsair, Enermax, Antec, PCP, and Silversone seem to come up quite a bit.

How about ThermalTake, CoolerMaster, Rosewell, Antec, and Sigma? Midlevels or worse? The local spot for getting decent deals on pc parts seems to sell mostly ThermalTake and Antec.

Also, I have heard some companies sometimes have product lines that are very good, but not always all of their lines, a consideration?

Finally, I seem to notice a fair amount of DOA comments regarding power supplies ordered online. Does this tend to be a case of the people who have problems tending to be the ones writing the most reviews, so it seems more common that it really is, or does that happen somewhat frequently? I would order from someplace that would allow a return; but, if there is a decent % chance ordering might produce a DOA, that might swing my decision to buy one from a store (like a Fry's), due to being able to take it back right away rather than having to deal with shipping, etc.

Thanks so far for the input. Helping!

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Imagine you get a powersupply that works you think yippie and get on with watching pron or play Crysis. You don't exactly think - "Oh isn't that powersupply working well at powering my 4870 X3, QX9450 and PC10000 Flex-tech mex DDR3 RAM that I just reviewed - I must review it as well!!"...

Then there is the other guy waits weeks for the delivery. The delivery guy keeps putting those stupid notes through the door. Mr "Unlucky" forgets to buy a UPS :non: . He plugs in his powersupply to the evil/unstable Electricity grid and boom (or phhht perhaps). First thing he does? Fires up his 486 laptop and vent his frustration on the nearest victim!! :sol:

If you buy a decent PSU they will be well packaged, ruggedly built and will survive traveling without a hitch. I have ordered a PC Power & Cooling 850 Watt PSU and an Ultra X3 from the US (I live in the UK). No worries both arrived fine. In fact one is currently powering my external HD array and the other is powering the server I am writing this message on!! So in summary I wouldn't get to paranoid about other peoples bad luck!! :lol:

PCP = drug BTW

Bob

nJohanis

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Nobody1627, have you found a new power supply for your hp m8307c? My sister has the same system, she got it from costco. She wants to upgrade the video card. It has an nvidia 8400gs, so I'm thinking she'll need a spiffy new card to really make it worth it. So that means a new power supply. What I want to know is what progress have you made and what challenges have you been confronted with? Please let me know the details, like the model number of the new/upgraded powersupply and video card so I can consider doing exactly what you've done or to go my own way.

Have you had any trouble working with the internals - motherboard/fans/slots/etc? I built my own computer, but I haven't yet had a chance to look inside the m8307c. Some prebuilt systems are a mess inside, so I'm a bit worried what i'll see. Any tips you care to share?

Thank you.

You should look into a 4670.
It will be a hell of an upgrade and will not require you to change your PSU.
It should be pretty straightforward to change as most prebuilt systems are pretty empty inside the case.
Uninstall the old drivers => remove old GPU => plug in 4870 => install drivers => finished.