Finished build, but results are unexpected

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Ok..... where to begin? I'll start with my specs. (this is not a full list of components, just ones that are relevant to my questions)
mobo: 780i
gpu: dual gtx 260
ram: 4 gb 1066mhz ddr2 ram
hdd: 500gb seagate 7200rpm
operating system: vista x64 home premium

my system appears to be working fine at first glance, but there are very odd problems:

problem 1

when playing crysis all settings very high, framerates usually stay around 30fps on average. (1920x1200 resolution)
now the weird part.... i decided to try to play on my hdtv just for kicks, so I checked my framerate while playing on the tv......... my framerates where exactly the same! (my hdtv uses 1366x768 resolution) maybe I'm wrong, but im pretty sure that the framerates should be higher at 1366x768 than they are at 1920x1200!

my only guess as to why this would happen is that something is bottlenecking the system extremely, but i have no idea what that problem could be.

problem 2: crysis freezes than crashes for no obvious reason. it seems to happen more when overclocking, but im pretty sure that that's not the problem. i have no idea why its crashing, and vista as usual has no idea what's wrong.

problem 3: my gtx 260 is not working as well as i had expected:
according to tom's gtx 260 review, at max settings w/ no aa the card supposedly got 35 fps. my cards in sli are getting about that. my first thought was that one of the cards is not working, but when i disabled sli my framerates dropped to the 20's or lower. I haven't testing each of the cards individually yet, but i'll try that soon. this is not necessarily a problem, but its rather annoying. this problem may also relate to my suspected bottleneck.

problem 4: now this one i have no clue about: when i tried loading ntune onto the system, my whole windows crashes. i dont mean i overclocked something and then it crashed, i mean that it crashed as soon as i opened the program. if you have any idea why this is happening please help.

one question. could my cpu be the bottleneck? its set to 2.66ghz. would overclocking remove the bottleneck?

any help you all could give would be appreciated. sorry for the cruddy grammar.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

What is the refresh rate on your monitor? On your tv?