EP45T-DS3R & 4Gb Ram issues...

G

Hi all

I've read a number of posts regarding Gigabyte's P45 chipset boards with 4Gb DDR2 ram, but hardly any posts at all of anyone running DDR3.

I’m running an E8400 processor at 3gHz, 4x 1Gb Supertalent 1333mHz ram, Vista 32, Western Digital 1Tb HDD, and a Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS video card – no overclocking, everything on auto settings.

My problem is that when starting up with all four modules of ram, the system will freeze very soon after POST. Testing with Memtest has cleared the ram, and when removing any one module, the system will boot and run stably. All other components have been checked out and are all functioning without error.

According to the company who supplied the board, to run all four memory modules, I will need to run them at 667mHz or purchase a quad core processor.

My argument with statement is that all components are rated for at least 1333mHz. I am able to run the ram at 1111mHz, which also calls my supplier’s advice into question. I have been unable to come across any similar advice anywhere else (and I have searched...)

I understand that Vista 32 will only recognise 3.25Gb ram anyway, but that’s beside the point.

Can anyone perhaps suggest why I am experiencing this issue?

G

It appears to me that 4x 1Gb does appear to be a problem with P35/P45 chipset boards. But why should running the memory at a slower frequency correct this?

califmike2003

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
i have not been able to run 4 1gb sticks on this board, but 2 2gb sticks run perfect, dont know if its a gigabyte issue or p45, just get 2 2gb sticks your done.