Blank Screen with cursor at boot after bios. FIXMBR/FIXBOOT dont work. Disk alre

er_amitthakur

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I have this problem. Here is the series of miseries I'd been through:
1. I made a backup of my hdd using DriveImage XML before formatting my disk (thank god I did that at least.)
2. I reinstalled my system and found windowsXP cannot activate no matter what I do (replaced wpa.dbl and did everything - nothing worked). Been through lot of stuff and microsoft support just made me so much frustrated. So I finally decided to-
3. Restored my disk by buying a casing and putting it in and restored using driveimage XML.
4. Now when I restart and boot with my hard disk I get A BLANK SCREEN WITH CURSOR BLINKIN AT THE LEFT OF THE SCREEN
5. By luck I got the thumb drive (which I used to install XP and created using USB_Multiboot10) it was able to boot the system and if I choose the option 2 it takes me to my windows.
6. I tried recovery console and fixmbr/fixboot. I checked the disk is active as well. Can anybody please help me to pull me out of this blank screen .

So that I can boot from hard disk itself instead of putting bootable disk every time to boot. Regards...

er_amitthakur

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I used the microsoft cd actually. Went to windows recovery console. Logged in with administrator account. Issued fixmbr/fixboot it didn't work.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.