Ok, I just finished my build

Asus P5E Deluxe
Q6600
4gb corsair dominator
WD 150gb raptor
Visiontek Radeon 4850 X2
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w

Sometimes (more times then less)
When I turn my computer on, before the image even appears on my screen my computer will turn off, then turn on, then off, on, and continues that cycle as many as 6 times

Once it actually works nothing seems to be wrong, no startup in safe mode screen etc. boots normal and just as quick (other then the 30 seconds of cycling on and off)

Anybody know what causes this?

BTW I'm running vista 64-bit SP1

Could it be faulty bios or weak PSU?

any help is appreciated.

akhilles

Splendid
Before OS loading? It's the bios. Have you cleared cmos prior to the build? Have you set up your ram to specs? You might wanna back down your ram speed to 800mhz or even 533mhz which is the default for Q6600. If you can run the pc stable with slow ram speed, that's it. Also, up vdimm if it's over 800mhz or more than 2 sticks.

s0krispy1016

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Sorry, os is loaded

I'll check out the bios though, i know my mobo is capable of ddr2 1066 but only if i switch it to that in bios, (corsair is 1066) think that could be it?

akhilles

Splendid
When I turn my computer on, before the image even appears on my screen my computer will turn off, then turn on, then off, on, and continues that cycle as many as 6 times

By image, do you mean POST or Windows? POST then it's hardware. Windows then it's software.

Even though there's ram faster than 800mhz, it may not be stable. The bios settings have to be changed to specs.

s0krispy1016

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
By image I mean anything, you know how crt monitors will make that little clicking noise when theyre about to display an image, well this thing shuts off right as it's making that noise. Screnn is blank up until that point other than the occasional "power saving monitor" Red Blue and green banner that appears when it has power to the monitor