Radeon 7000 PCI won't install as second GPU

genthar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I have two monitors off a HD2400Pro and I want to install a third monitor on my system. As I have unused PCI slots I assumed the best way to do this was install an old 7000 series PCI I had to run the third monitor. I installed the card and on reboot Windows recognizes a Radeon 7000 series and reboots but as Windows is restarting the XP splash screen pauses for a second and the system just restarts again, now requiring safe mode or last known good config to proceed (which of course does not properly install the 7000). When I remove the 7000 everything's AOK and the system functions normally.

I've updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version, set the BIOS to initilise the PCI-E or PCI graphics first and I even moved the card into every PCI slot systematically to see if that would work, but it achieves the same result. I have verified that the PCI card works AOK in another PC.

My system specs are:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G with 1x PCI-E 1, 1x PCI-E 16 and 5x PCI slots (no onboard VGA)
Main GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD2400 PRO
PSU: Seasonic 12v 500w,

Thanks to anyone for their help. If I have to get another old PCI card I've no problem with this, but there's no point if it's just going to do the same thing.

kristoferGamer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
i am experiencing the same thing kind of. I have a radeon hd 4850 and need a secondary PCI addon card radeon 7000 to run another monitor. the monitor is a psone lcd screen and i have run the 7000 by itself no problem and the 7000 runs the psone lcd screen nicely, but i need the pci-e 4850 as i am a gamer. my windows boots up fine and the card is recognized in the device manager but it has a an error code: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" i have looked all over the internet trying to figure a way to run both video cards at the same time and all i need is the vga output on the 7000. any help in this on this would be greatly, greatly appreciated. i am running vista 64bit home premium with a gigabyte ep43-ds3L mobo. Please help me out!!! thank you to who ever can help.