Sign in with
Your question

Can't find my hard dirve...plz help!

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2009 4:59:29 PM

Just got an new 1tb of storage and i did all phycial stuff, putting into a drive bay, connecting
sata and power cables and it shows it in the bios menu, and also under the device manager - disk drives, it shows the
hard drive, but when i go to my computer, there's only one hard drive when there should be another new 1tb hard drive. plz help me fix the problem ^^

More about : find hard dirve plz

a b G Storage
November 21, 2009 6:01:57 PM

Download the disk manufacturer's software for installing the disk, e.g., Western Digital, run it on your computer. After re-booting, the OS should find the HDD.

Or, if you are using Windows, try to add it using "Disk Management" in the "Administrative Tools."
m
l
a b G Storage
November 21, 2009 6:41:44 PM

you have to format it before windows will show the drive

I prefer using windows instead fo installing another program, though other programs do give you more options they are rarely needed

As stated it can be done from windows using disk management in admin tools
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
November 23, 2009 3:58:35 AM

There are actually TWO preparation steps. The first is to Create a Partition on the new HDD unit. This creates a small hidden data file at the disks' start that details how all of it space is used in separate Volumes called "Disks" - some choose simply to establish only one volume that uses ALL the HDD's space in one Disk. Second step, for EACH Partition created, is to Format it. This establishes on that Partition only the hidden files needed to track its space use in a File System. For almost all cases today you choose the NTFS File System unless you have a particular need for the older FAT32 system. You can do these two steps yourself in Disk Manager (and some version have a pop-up Wizard that will help you do both jobs as if they were one). Or, you can download and use utilities from the maker of your new HDD that make these jobs easy. Windows cannot deal with the HDD until you do this preparation.
m
l
!