Help overclocking in bios

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I'm having trouble overclocking my q6600. Im using a gigabyte g41m-es2l mb with a Sunbeam CR-CCTF92-4 92mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler. Im using windows 7 rc.

Every time I do the slightest overclock in the bios, even just 2.5, the pc wont start. I am able to to get to 2.8 easy using easytune so I believe my system is able to handle the overclock. This is strange, i would really like to figure out what is going on. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Randy

I built a computer for my sis-in-law using that motherboard and an E5200. Don't remember all the BIOS settings available because that computer is 9 time zones away.

I have a Q6600 in a GA-EP45-UD3L running at 3.3 GHz. It was running at 3.6 GHz when it was in my gaming machine until I built a PC using a UD3P and a Q9550. Then I decided that because it is not in a gaming machine any more, I do not need to push the chip as much.

Here are my settings (based on a CPU with a 1.2625 VID):

Robust Graph Boost [AUTO]
CPU Clock Ratio [9X]
CPU Host Clock Control [ENABLED]
CPU Host Freq. [367 MHz]
PCI Express Freq [AUTO]
CIA2 [DISABLED]
Advanced Clock Control - Default values

DRAM
Perform Enh [STD]
XMP [AUTO]
GMCH [AUTO]
SPD [2.00B]
System Mem Freq 734 MHz
Lets me run CPU: Mem ratio of 1:1
DRAM timing Sel [AUTO]
My mem SPD sets 4-4-4-12
Advanced Timing Control - Default values

Loadline Cal [ENABLED]
CPU VCore 1.2625 V [1.3000V]
The first voltage is the VID, can't change it
The rest of the CPU related voltages (CPU, MCH, and ICH) are set to [AUTO]

DRAM Voltage [2.10 V] - use manufacturer's recommendation.

Keep in mind that these settings worked for me.
YMMV
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I have tried these settings and similar settings but i just cant seem to get it to start up. Is there a was to control the memory freq. other that the multiplier. Its like im missing a vital option in the bios or something.
thanks for all the responses, im going to read up some more and keep trying different settings. please feel free to tho any other ideas my way.

-randy

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
my settings are as follows
CPU Clock Ratio [9X]
CPU Host Freq. [280 MHz] I really can only post if im at 266 but if im at 280 these are the settings i would choose
PCI Express Freq [AUTO]
CIA2 [DISABLED]

DRAM
Perform Enh [STD]
XMP [AUTO]
GMCH [AUTO]
SPD [2.00B]
System Mem Freq 560MHz
DRAM timing Sel [AUTO]
My mem SPD sets 5-5-5-15

my ram is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
come on guys there most be a setting that I dont know about and dont change. Im desperate. Any suggestions would be great! Im really frustrated by the whole thing right now. I had a dell and you cant oc them. So I go build a new computer just to oc and now I cant! No way I dont except this. Lets figure this out.

-Randy

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I have been reading thru everything i can find and the only things that might be the problem are

"Note to EP35-DS3L owners: To "Disable" DES all you have to do is to not install DES program."

well too late for me I already installed. Now Im searching for a way do disable/uninstall DES but to no avail. If any1 knows how please enlighten me.
also i do not see the cpu voltage control in my bios, its got the rest of them like vcore and all that. maybe this is the hold up. thank you everyone for the help.

-Randy

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
why wipe the hard drive. I just installed windows 7. its a fresh build.
im now up to a 3.0 oc using the easy tune utl. rock solid i might add. so my system seems to be able to handle an oc. i have tested all the other setting and the only option that makes it not post is any change in the fsb even 10mhz. maybe i got a bad board? I dont know if this is a defect in the board or just something im over looking. what you think.

o ya and i didnt intall dep, thank god.

-Randy

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

voltage is good so are temps. and like i said solid as a rock

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
again i tried a lot but here is one
my settings are as follows
CPU Clock Ratio [9X]
CPU Host Freq. [280 MHz] I really can only post if im at 266 but if im at 280 these are the settings i would choose
PCI Express Freq [100]
CIA2 [DISABLED]

DRAM
Perform Enh [STD]
XMP [AUTO]
GMCH [AUTO]
SPD [2.00B]
System Mem Freq 560MHz
DRAM timing Sel [AUTO]
My mem SPD sets 5-5-5-15

VCORE ive tried 1.275, 1.325, 1.385
again I will post if i use these settings but leave the fsb stock.

in the utl i just change to fsb to 333 and memory to 666 and vcore to 1.385 and its runs cool and solid. i got up to 60 max stressing it

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
So i have confirmed it. If I enable CPU Host Control, no matter what any of the settings are, I can not post. I called Gigabyte just to hear their two cents. They confirm that it's a working board unless you can't post with all settings at default. Wow. Thanks all I got to say for now.

-Randy

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Finally, with enough tinkering I was able to post with CPU Host Control enabled. I am now stable at 3.0. The trick was to pull out one of the two 2gb ram sticks. Then change the memory freq multiplier to 2.5. Now I can overclock just fine. One problem for me is I would really like to use all 4gb of ram. I'm running windows 7 x64 and the extra ram seems to help. Do you guys think it is defective ram or is there a trick to adding more ram after you get a stable oc. Thanks to everyone for all the advise and help. I can finally go wash the paint off my forehead that I got from banging my head into the wall ;).

-Randy

mobiusrm

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I don't see anything wrong with this 4gb of corsair memory provided I can get it to post with a cpu oc. Right now the system is running at

cpu feq 333
ram feq 832
clocks 5-5-5-18
vcore 1.25
ram vol 1.8

It will post and run stable with 2gb but won't even post with 4bg. I don't see any setting to up my nb voltage controls. I don't know what to try at this point. Tried messing with the ram feq and volt to no avail. Let me know if you have any ideas.

-Randy