Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

would an x2 3600+ @ 2.85GHz bottleneck an hd4850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 3, 2008 2:41:34 AM

^ question above

input appreciated thanks
August 3, 2008 3:00:56 AM

wow what are your settings to run that high? i had mine that high but i had to use 1.5 vcore and yes it would.
August 3, 2008 3:21:39 AM

I wouldn't worry about any "bottleneck" you might have with that chip. You won't have any problems playing any of the newest games out.
Related resources
August 3, 2008 3:31:07 AM

okay, thanks
i run 1.4V ;) 
August 3, 2008 3:31:07 AM

If you play at a high resolution and enable all the eye candy then the video ard will matter more and the CPU less. Even if the card is unable to work at 100%, I'm sure it will still be a good gaming machine.

Eroc, is your CPU a Manchester or a Brisbane? That is, socket 939 or AM2? If it's socket 939 you'll have a very hard time upgrading the CPU, unless you buy a new MB too. If it's AM2 it should be easy.

August 3, 2008 3:34:23 AM

aevm said:
If you play at a high resolution and enable all the eye candy then the video ard will matter more and the CPU less. Even if the card is unable to work at 100%, I'm sure it will still be a good gaming machine.

Eroc, is your CPU a Manchester or a Brisbane? That is, socket 939 or AM2? If it's socket 939 you'll have a very hard time upgrading the CPU, unless you buy a new MB too. If it's AM2 it should be easy.


AM2, i built this machine last year, i was debating building a new one with a q6600 and everything, but i figure this machine can hold me over with a basic GPU upgrade; the 7900gs i have in it is really not enough anymore. besides with nehalem around the corner i figure i should just wait
August 3, 2008 3:35:01 AM

i play @ 1440x900 btw
August 3, 2008 3:51:14 AM

Give it a try. I'm sure it will be a major improvement. If you're not happy, get an X2 5800+ ($96 at Newegg) for example.

I hope your PSU is up to the challenge. The 7900GS recommendation is 20A on the 12V rails, while the HD 4850 wants 32A.

August 3, 2008 4:02:44 AM

aevm said:
Give it a try. I'm sure it will be a major improvement. If you're not happy, get an X2 5800+ ($96 at Newegg) for example.

I hope your PSU is up to the challenge. The 7900GS recommendation is 20A on the 12V rails, while the HD 4850 wants 32A.


i have a 550Watt PSU with dual 12v rails @ 18amps each, what do you think?

thanks for the input thus far
August 3, 2008 4:14:24 AM

eroc said:
i have a 550Watt PSU with dual 12v rails @ 18amps each, what do you think?

thanks for the input thus far

Sounds sufficient to me
August 3, 2008 4:39:50 AM

i have a quick question related to this.

say a game uses 100% of all cores or at least all the cores it can use.
Would the game benefit from a faster cpu?
!