HD4850 Crossfire with Crysis

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Everytime I run it in crossfire, it crashes. I have 2 GB of RAM, a P5E3 intel deluxe mobo, a q9450, and the cards. I installed duorbs onto the cards so that they would run cooler so i don't think its heat thats making it crash. I might have installed them wrong and it is cooling them worse but I doubt it. Any ideas why it keeps crashing?

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Ok, but is anyone else having the same problem as me? Preferably with 4850 in crossfire crashing on crysis. Also, I wanted to add that sometimes my whole computer crashes and not just crysis while playing. Normal?

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Yeah I have 600 watt psu for the computer and then a dedicated psu of 450 watts for the 2 cards. I'm pretty sure its getting enough power because the is no red light on the cards.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I run Crysis with just what you have, crossfired 4850's, with no problems. They are even somewhat overclocked. You ARE running Catalyst 8.7? That's the first driver release that officially supports the 4850/70 and works with Crysis without a patch.

What are your full system specs? How good are the benches you are getting off that game with two 4850s? How much of an increase do you get with x-fire over a single card in Crysis?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I've never benched the graphics subsystem. Crysis runs quite well at max but not as smoothly as most other games, which do see a strong improvement under crossfire. I've not tried Crysis under a single 4850.

It's an Asus Maximus Formula, Q6600 G0 at 3.31 Ghz, 4 gigs memory with 3.2 showing under XP SP3. Power supply is 850 watt Antec Quattro. The cards and CPU are watercooled.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I've got two 4850's and played thru crysis as soon as I got them. They ran the game descently but nowhere near what i would have liked. I dont think Crysis is optimized for crossfire though. Benchmarking the game, I got less than a 2fps difference with 1 4850 compared to crossfire.

This is a NEW product.

The Nvidia's G80 8800GTS had driver issues for several months after it was out.

The good thing about ATI is that they release new drivers monthly. There may be a fix for this in a week or two.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
The new drivers did help, but like rwayne stated, the cards are still new. The 8.7 drivers were the first official drivers for the cards but hopefully they will follow monthly and continue to improve. Even with improvement though I dont see crysis getting much better. The game is just not optimized that well, especially for ATI cards. Every game I have tried besides crysis I have been able to max out smoothly, most without even enabling crossfire.... but as soon as I try crysis smooth performance goes out the window. I have heard that the new crysis coming in September will be better optimized for dual core processors as well as dual GPU setups, hopefully this will hold to be true.

Verison 1.0 of anything never works right.

I don't 'buy in' to what a lot of people saying that ATI cards will never run Crysis "The way it was meant to be played" because the game was optimized for Nvidia.

I remember reading the last issue of "THE WAY" magizine published by Nvidia. In there code masters stated that GRID was optimized for GeForce Video cards and that all of their developers used them in designing and testing the game.

Then to everyone's amazement Tom's Hardware posted benchmarks showing that the 4870 beat out the GTX280 in GRID with both Eye Candy On and Off.

See the benches here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964-14.html

The same story happened with Assassin's Creed. That game was designed for Nvidia and the ATI HD38XX Cards actually beat out the Nvidia 8 series because the game was made for DX10.1 which caused the DX10 88XXseries cards to choke and stutter. Nvidia paid a lot of money for Assassin's Creed's too.

Crysis brings all cards to their knees. Don't blame your card's performance on not having "optimized drivers". The truth is "Crysis is Crysis." The ultimate stress test for any card GeForce or not.

Azgoroth

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I recall reading somewhere that 2 4850's would require 550w at least PSU. Dunno if your dedicated PSU is up to the task even though its dedicated.

moshi

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I also am running 2 4850's with Catalyst 8.7, seems to work great. 1920x1200 is a bit of a stretch, but with 1680x1050, All settings on High, and about 2x AA, it is extremely enjoyable. I was getting around 40-50's which is enough to make it playable. Anything over 2x AA is a bit taxing, and the frames take a huge hit. Game still looks decent at 2x IMO.

I have a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, E8500 @4.2 on air. Cards are from Sapphire. I haven't tried it with a single card yet. Powering it with an Antec TPQ-850w.

I do notice that sometimes there are weird glitches in the game, like when you look at the sky it looks like its trying to render something else. I think it's just driver issues and will be patched over time.

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Zk, download Crysis 1.2 patch then the 1.21 hotfix. Then get Catalyst 8.7 (u can use system restore if Crysis is unplayable). Also, contact Thermaltake about that screw for the gpu fan. And sell ur case, and the rest of the stuff. Call me. :hello:

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
That's exactly what i'm running now and the game won't play. I don't even care at this point, I'm just going to wait until catalyst 8.8, any confirmed working betas?

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007

That's if you just have 1 power supply. This guy effectively has 1000+ watts in his system. I don't think it's a power issue....

G

The number of watts isn't as important as the number of 12V rails and the number of amps on each one. I have a 650W PSU, but it has one 12V rail with 60 amps on it. Thus, the PSU can provide clean power by not having to balance power among several 12 rails. How you get to the number on the box is as important, if not more so, than the number itself.

I have two Radeon 4850s in CrossfireX and found that disabling CrossfireX in CCC allowed me to play through the game without a drop in frame rate. From what I've read, adding a second card does nothing to your frame rates in Crysis and Crysis Warhead, so I figured (correctly, in my case) that disabling that feature makes the game stable. When you look at the ads at the beginning of the game, you can see why CrossfireX has such bad support and SLI has such good support.

This is an old thread. Have you straightened everything out?

Do you think TWO 4850s would be better than that new card coming out the HD4850x2?

Like the example you mentioned. If you disable X-fire then Crysis runs with out issue.

What would happen if you played Crysis with a single HD4850x2 card? Do you think it would bug out?

I don't think you can disable the 2nd GPU on a 4850x2 because it is all one card.

I thought about getting a 4850x2 because it is suppose to be about 15% faster than 2 single cards in Xfire. However I wonder if having a card like that would hold any disadvantages in some games.

G

Are you sure you don't mean "a single 4870 x2"?

I'll have to recheck whether the games are stable with CrossfireX off. I know that the frame rate is essentially the same.