Cd/dvd writer stutters

APlowden

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hello,
i have an hp compaq presario. had problems with old writer stuttering. bought new one still does the same thing. did a run on microsoft fixit and it says the writer reads but can not burn to get a new burner. this is the 3 new burner that i have tried.

Solution
you might try doing a repair install of XP, see THIS XP forum fourth post from the top for directions. A repair install usually fixes problems like this.
you might try backing up all your files and do a reinstall of the operating system, or you might try reloading all the manufacturer's motherboard drivers. If you reload drivers, turn off the antivirus while you do it.
Any type of "fix it" program that you load in your computer, is apt to make things malfunction . Therefore, don't load those types of programs.
you might try doing a repair install of XP, see THIS XP forum fourth post from the top for directions. A repair install usually fixes problems like this.
you might try backing up all your files and do a reinstall of the operating system, or you might try reloading all the manufacturer's motherboard drivers. If you reload drivers, turn off the antivirus while you do it.
Any type of "fix it" program that you load in your computer, is apt to make things malfunction . Therefore, don't load those types of programs.

Solution

More information is always better than not enough. For example: Is the burner an IDE or SATA?

If it is IDE (wide ribbon cable), check if DMA is turned on to the burner. No burner works well with PIO.

Go here to check:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>(right-click)Primary IDE Chanel>Properties>Advanced Settings>Device 0 (and Device 1)>Transfer Mode>(set to DMA if available).

Do the same for Secondary IDE Channel.

When done, test burner.

APlowden

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

thanks very much for answering me. i appreciate it very much but i have tried this and it is still not working. the one thing that i did not try is reloading the motherboard drivers (dont know how to do that). i have tried 3 writers and they all say that drive is unable to write. it will read it. dont know what else to do. i had used microsoft fixit program to see what was wrong and it said driver was not capable to writing. is there another program that i can use to tell me what the problem is directly.

APlowden

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

thanks for answering. i tried this and the computer is set to DMA if available. i have tried about everything to no avail.

APlowden

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

TRENDING THREADS