Sign in with
Your question

Getting 1.536Gigz ram instead of 2

Last response: in Memory
October 9, 2008 7:39:21 PM

Hi Everyone.. just wondering why im getting 1.536 Gig of Ram when i have 2 x 1 gig memory stick inserted on my mobo.. My mobo supports 533 Mhz and has a maximum of 2 Gig of ram.. My memory sticks are running at different speeds though, one at 533 mhz and the other at 667 mhz.. but i guess it wouldnt be a problem since the 667 mhz stick would automatically downgrade itself to the speed of the lower ram which is at 533 mhz.. when i run cpu-z and check both of the slots, it can detect that both memory sticks inserted on my mobo are at 1 Gig Each.. but whenever i run dxdiag it says my memory is at 1.536 gig.. Any help would be very much appreciated.. thanks alot..

P.S
This is my system info(incase needed)
Machine name: SONY
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: P4M800PRO-M2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2CPUs)
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 374MB used, 2550MB available

More about : 536gigz ram

a b } Memory
October 9, 2008 7:54:07 PM

It's being used by Integrated Video if you have integrated video.
a b } Memory
October 9, 2008 8:03:23 PM

Well, that's because you're using onboard video. You should be able to lower the amount of memory the onboard video uses in the BIOS. You should lower it to 64MB or 128MB, rather than the 512 it seems to be at, since your onboard video is too slow to play any games that would make use of 512MB of VRAM.
Related resources
October 9, 2008 8:18:30 PM

thanks guys but just wondering coz i just bought this 1 Gig(667mhz) memory stick recently.. so i only have 1 gig of ram before.. if my motherboard uses onboard video, shouldnt i be getting 512mb of ram instead of 1 gig before when i still dont have the other memory stick(667mhz) inserted on my mobo?hmm and i dont think im using onboard video cuz im using a video card which i bought long time ago...

this is my display info:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Microsoft Corporation)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5500
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
a b } Memory
October 9, 2008 9:50:46 PM

&I guess it's being scaled depending on how much RAM you have. 1024MB RAM might reserve only 16MB for Video so you "see" it as 1GB.
October 9, 2008 9:56:00 PM

i see... but is there anyway i could stop my computer from eating up my memory so i could have 2 gigs instead of 1.536 gigs? and if i did will there be any conflicts or problem? tnx
a b } Memory
October 9, 2008 10:08:24 PM

Go into your BIOS screen and disable onboard video. As long as it is enabled your motherboard will put aside RAM for it to use.
October 9, 2008 10:37:48 PM

im afraid onboard video is not even supported on my mohterboard...
October 9, 2008 11:52:08 PM

shinshi said:
im afraid onboard video is not even supported on my mohterboard...

If you do indeed have the ECS P4M800PRO-M2 according to ECS's website it has the following onboard graphics "Integrated S3 UniChrome Pro 2D/3D Graphics." Check out the website at the following link version 1 and 2 both have the integrated graphics.

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetai...

October 10, 2008 12:17:25 AM

My guess is because Windows reserves part of the memory for Devices like VGA etc... You can't do anything about that. Your actual memory will show up during boot. If it says 2GB then it is all alright. No problems. Windows 32-bit will always report less RAM because it dedicates part of it for several devices installed in your PC. Likewise if you had 4GB of RAM and use a 32-bit system it would report only 3GB or less in the OS, simple because it uses the rest for the system. During the boot process though it reports all 4GBs. If you want to use all the memory available to you, you should use a 64-bit system.
October 10, 2008 12:20:08 AM

If there is 2GB ram and the address space is 4GB, there will be more than enough room to reserve stuff without hurting the ram. A 64bit OS will not change anything.
October 10, 2008 3:52:20 AM

hester7 said:
If there is 2GB ram and the address space is 4GB, there will be more than enough room to reserve stuff without hurting the ram. A 64bit OS will not change anything.

You are right, i thought he was running something like the the 2GB 7950GT2. It is a mere FX5500, sorry, just saw it. Well we need to know what the BIOS reports first at POST. If it is 2GB of RAM then all is well, if not, then either his RAM is faulty or has a special setting in the BIOS.
October 10, 2008 9:23:38 AM

thanks guys :) 

well, just checked the link and my motherboard is P4M800PRO-M2 (V2.0)...
and just found out i have Integrated S3 UniChrome Pro 2D/3D Graphic but according to my bios its only eating up 640kbs of my ram.. And it is said that my Igp can only take a maximum of 128mb from my ram...

Also, when i boot up.. at start up, it also says i have 1.5gig memory not 2 gig.. the same as what my windows displays... hmmmm..
a b } Memory
October 10, 2008 11:20:19 AM

shinshi said:
Machine name: SONY
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: P4M800PRO-M2
Was this system manufactured by Sony, or the original motherboard replaced with an ECS board? I am not aware of any Sony models that used this board, so I assume the motherboard is not an OEM unit made for Sony. There are two PCB versions of this board, each uses a different BIOS:

P4M800PRO-M2 V1.0

P4M800PRO-M2 V2.0

S3/VIA UniChrome IGP supports a maximum 64MB shared memory, be it K8M800, P4M800, or any other UniChrome IGP part. Therefore, it could not be responsible for 512MB reserved to shared memory. The newer Chrome9 IGP parts support up to 256MB shared memory (IIRC), but that isn't used on this board.

The fact that exactly 512MB (+/- 1MB) has gone missing strongly points to a module compatibility issue or misprogrammed SPD. 1GB modules can be constructed using four 256MB chips, eight 128MB chips, or sixteen 64MB chips. For that matter, any size module can be constructed using more than one chip density and chip count. However, not all of them are supported by all chipsets, motherboards, or BIOS. A system that can support one module with sixteen chips may not support the same size module with eight chips. In these cases, a common result is one-half the module going undetected (or not working at all).

Confirm how many chips are on each module. I suspect one module is single-sided with eight chips total. If so, these generally are supported only by newer chipsets that can do 8GB RAM or more. The VIA P4M800 is a few years old now and supports up to 4GB max with four DIMM sockets, 2GB MAX with two DIMM sockets. I would recommend replacing it with a module that uses sixteen chips, which is not always specified by the manufacturer.

If both modules have eight chips, then you have a different form of the same problem. In this case, you will probably need to replace both modules with ones that use sixteen chips.
October 10, 2008 12:30:27 PM

thanks alot for the information..
i really dont know if this is manufactured by sony or the original motherboard being replaced with an ECS board.. bought this from a friend and i have no idea(neither does he)...

i was lookin on the net but i cant confirm how many chips are there on my modules... cpu-z doesnt even show it... incase the problem is caused by the modules having different number of chips, would it create any problems or conflicts? like my memory getting burned or stuffs like that.. coz if it wont, ill just leave them like that.. im ok with 1.536gigz.. then later ill just buy another 1 gig stick with 16 chips..
a b } Memory
October 10, 2008 7:02:56 PM

You'll need to visually inspect the modules to get the chip count. It should not harm anything to leave them as is.
October 10, 2008 7:18:46 PM

ok ill doo that.. thanks alot..
!