LGA775 hsf installation

jepherz

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i'd like to know other people's experience in installing the heatsinkfan for a lga775 socket. i recently bought a Q9450 quadcore and installed it. it took me a while to get the 4 pins locked in, and im not even sure if they are locked properly or whatever. I downloaded CPUID hwmonitor to check to see if there are any stuck sensors and checked out the temperatures while doing that. I ran a game and the temperature went up to ~75 on 2 of the cores and 66 on the other 2. arent those a little high? or are newer processors supposed to be that high?

while installing the hsf, when i click down one 1, the whole hsf tilts over to that pushed down pin, I tried getting in the diagonally opposite in, but that never works, so i did an adjacent. after taking the hsf on and off a few times and putting it back on, i eventually got them all on. when I try to wiggle it loose, it doesn't come off, but when i look at it, it looks like it could be a little off to one side, though im not sure, maybe my eyes were playing a trick on me. the mobo was already installed in the case so it was hard to see and i didn't want to take it back out. while pushing down the pins i also notice that the motherboard was kind of bending. i didn't expect to have to use so much force to put the hsf on...i just can't help but think i might have done something wrong

jepherz

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
someone please tell me if i did this correctly...or atleast if you have a Q9450 also could you tell me how hot yours runs?

You need to run Prime95 to check temperatures. That loads each core to 100%. If all four cores are loaded equally, the core temp measurements should be no more than 5 degrees apart. With games, you do not really know how each core is loaded.

You haven't said if you were overclocking, but 75 C seems a little high.

You may need to remove the motherboard to be certain that you have installed the HSF properly.

I always installed the HSF before I install the mb in the case.

I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz. My core temps go to about 65 C.

rasco_matt

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
It sounds as if you installed the HSF while the motherboard was in the case........Not a good idea...!

It may pay to remove the motherboard and check to see if the ALL the pins have been inserted properly.

Personally I hate the push pin design type of HSF. I dont like the amount of force required to correctly seat the pins, but I especially don't like the amount of board warping they cause. A number of members have recommended a backing plate kit from Thermaltake which allows you to use your existing HS but replaces the push pins with screws and a backing plate. You do have to remove the motherboard to install it but you wont get the board warping and you should be guaranteed to have a snugly fitting HSF

rasco_matt

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
ooops..... looks like I may have had something resting on the keyboard.

Sorry....

Sorry for this sorry, I just edited it............ :eek: