Possible CPU damage?

jonesaw13

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Is it possible to damage a Core 2 duo CPU by powering up a system when there are bent pins on the socket 775 motherboard.

I am in the process of building a new system and when I went to initaly power it up there was no display. It turns out that some of the CPU socket pens were bent. I got a new mother board and it still will not display with the old CPU. Could that CPU have been damaged from the first board?

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
It is possible (as in anything is possible), but you havent eliminated a whole host of other potential problems.

You need to eliminate other source's of problems: bad ram, bad psu, bad vid card etc....

jonesaw13

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I tested a video card that I knew worked and there was still no display. I have 4 sticks of 2 gig gskill ram that I recently got so could all 4 sticks be bad? The only other thing could be the power supply or CPU. If everything turns on and starts up but there is no display could it still be the power supply?

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
does ur mobo make any beep sound ....... does the CPU fan spin up at full speed and then slows down or remains that high speed.

it could be a PSU problem even if everything starts up

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
here is the thing....i once booted my PC with processor pins bent down...(dint realize they were bent).....my fan speed would stay at full speed and my mobo made no response not did any component.....not even the CD tray would open........when i fixed the pins, everything went back to normal.......
CPU is not a easy thing to ruin.probably the hardest of all the component in ur casing to destroy(of course u can OC it and burn it, but apart from that)......so i dont think its the CPU.most likely its the PSU......did u try to boot using one Ram only and using different ram each time?

jonesaw13

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I have tried that. How would the PSU not be working right? Would everything boot up hardrive, fans, ect and it still be the PSU? I guess it could be delivering an improper voltage?