Sign in with
Your question

First time Tuniq Tower 120 User

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2009 1:09:24 AM

Hi,

I just moved my stuff into a new case, Cooler Master HAF 922 and installed a new heatsink.
First I removed the intel stock cooler and cleaned off the thermal paste with 95% ethanol, which I brought from my lab.
Then I installed the Tuniq Tower 120 with the right LGA 775 socket + the H bracket with the screws along with the springs.

After I completed the set up, I didn't know what to do, so I just checked the cpu temperatures using Core Temp 0.99.4 (I replaced the heatsink and the case to try OC for the first time)
They are at (37C/37C/28C/28C), and it shows freq: 1600.03MHz (266.67 x 6.0), and frequencey changes to 2.4ghz and constantly changes between two values (not too often, but sometimes changes)

Also I ran Prime 95 at stock setting just to see the temperatures at full load.

My system:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400MHz (stock)
Mobo: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R v. 1.1
Memory: Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 DDR2 Dual Channel 4gb (400mhz, 5/5/5/18)
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
GPU: MSI ATI Radeon HD 4890 (factory OC @ 880/999)

My Questions:
1)Why are the first 2 cores' temperatures differ so much from the other 2 cores'?
2)Is the difference normal?
3)Is the changing freq normal between 1600mhz and 2400mhz?
4)Are the core temperatures normal with Tuniq Tower 120 at stock cpu speed? (fan controller is set at High)
5)When I run Prime 95, core temps change to (49C/49C/40C/40C)... Are these normal at stock cpu speed?

a c 86 K Overclocking
August 1, 2009 3:53:16 PM

Changing speed is due to the powersaving mode. You can disable it if you wanted to, many do disable it when they overclock.

The temp difference is hard to say. Have you run the CPU under load yet?

I'd reseat it again and check temps.
m
l
August 1, 2009 4:27:52 PM

Thank you for the input~

What do you mean by reseating the heatsink?
Do I need to apply new thermal paste after cleaning the old one or just take out the heatsink and put it back on without reapplying the thermal paste?
m
l
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
August 1, 2009 4:33:38 PM

Yes, take it off and redo the HS. Is it pins or a backplate with that cooler? If pins bevery careful and make sure all 4 pins are on right. I am a believer of always, always removing the mobo to install a heatsink on the CPU. Usually you get it right the first time and don't have to take it out again.

You always redo the thermal paste every time. Clean the old off with a bit of alcohol and q tips. How much Tpaste did you use? Did you apply it per instructions? Were there instructions for that? If not google 'Thermal Paste CPU' and read up on how to apply Tpaste.

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/350584-guide-tempe...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2009 4:47:55 PM

9C difference between cores? Something's not right. Download "RealTemp" and do a "Test Sensor", I know the newer Q9xxx are the ones that have the "stuck sensor" problem, but it's worth trying.

Also, what way is the fan facing?

As for applying paste, put a dot the size of 2 grains of rice on the center of the CPU and spread it with your finger covered with cling wrap or a clean shopping bag.
m
l
August 1, 2009 5:34:29 PM

@Conumdrum
I see. It is the backplate held cooler. I used the TX-1 thermal paste from tuniq that came with the cooler. Also I guess I used a bit alot, but since the paste was too thick, everytime when I smoothed it out, it would leave the plate and smear all over the wrap which was covering my finger. I guess i'll order TX-2 and reseat it, when it comes. Thanks.

@Shadow703793

So the difference is not normal... I see
I'll try the test sensor.
And the fan is facing the exhaust fan, and I think it is the correct orientation, according to other users, hopefully lol.
Thank you.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2009 2:09:00 AM

Quote:
And the fan is facing the exhaust fan
, and I think it is the correct orientation, according to other users, hopefully lol.

Yes, your HSF is facing the right way.
m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
August 4, 2009 1:50:48 PM

krnelement said:
Hi,

I just moved my stuff into a new case, Cooler Master HAF 922 and installed a new heatsink.
First I removed the intel stock cooler and cleaned off the thermal paste with 95% ethanol, which I brought from my lab.
Then I installed the Tuniq Tower 120 with the right LGA 775 socket + the H bracket with the screws along with the springs.

After I completed the set up, I didn't know what to do, so I just checked the cpu temperatures using Core Temp 0.99.4 (I replaced the heatsink and the case to try OC for the first time)
They are at (37C/37C/28C/28C), and it shows freq: 1600.03MHz (266.67 x 6.0), and frequencey changes to 2.4ghz and constantly changes between two values (not too often, but sometimes changes)

Also I ran Prime 95 at stock setting just to see the temperatures at full load.

My system:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400MHz (stock)
Mobo: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R v. 1.1
Memory: Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 DDR2 Dual Channel 4gb (400mhz, 5/5/5/18)
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
GPU: MSI ATI Radeon HD 4890 (factory OC @ 880/999)

My Questions:
1)Why are the first 2 cores' temperatures differ so much from the other 2 cores'?
2)Is the difference normal?
3)Is the changing freq normal between 1600mhz and 2400mhz?
4)Are the core temperatures normal with Tuniq Tower 120 at stock cpu speed? (fan controller is set at High)
5)When I run Prime 95, core temps change to (49C/49C/40C/40C)... Are these normal at stock cpu speed?

This is to add to what you've already been advised, so I'm going to share my experiences with the Tuniq Tower 120, and the Q9550, since some of your results are similar, I'm not telling you to do what I did OK.

First off regarding the TT120, its a heavy cooler as you've noticed and for me the springs were useless so I disgarded them after the first install of it, you have to seat the TT120 then remove it and check your contact patch for even coverage, seating and removing it is a pain, but you have to know whats happening with its contact and the amount of thermal compound you're using.

The paste that comes with the TT120 is crap, Artic Silver 5 works great with the TT120, you only want enough thermal compound to fill the voids between the heatsink base and the CPU heat spreader, you do not want anymore than is necessary to do that, if its squishing out around the edges thats too much.

Things I did to my TT120 to increase its cooling performance were #1, Lapped the heatsink base, #2 changed to a higher performance cooling fan, CFM wise, #3 experimented with just the thumbscrews minus the springs to get solid contact.

Now regarding the Intel Q6600 temperature differences, that could be because once the TT120 is standing horizontally with the case standing upright the Springs are allowing the heatsink to loose contact with the CPUs heatspreader.

However I also with my Q9550 had a temp difference, between cores 0,1 and 2,3, and that difference became much closer when I lapped my Q9550s heat spreader, now like I said in the beginning of this comment, I'm not telling you what to do, I'm telling you what I did.

m
l
August 7, 2009 7:27:54 AM

Thank you for all the inputs~

I finally received Artic Silver 5, so I took unhooked everything from the mobo, then took out the mobo from the case.

I removed the TT120, and cleaned the heatsink bottom and the cpu surface with 95% ethanol that was from the lab. Finally, I applied the Artic Silver 5 (put a small grain sized amount, and thoroughly spread out the paste with the ziploc bag covered finger).
The amount applied was minimal.

After that, I hooked everything back up, and restarted the computer, and watched the temperature with Real Temp 3.00, and the temperature did not change from what I had before... (What's going on... sigh...) I tired prime 95 to load the cpu, but the temperature remained the same...

-Does it take a while for artic silver 5 to settle in?
-I am thinking about lapping, but I am kind of scared to do it lol...
m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
August 7, 2009 2:47:02 PM

AS5 does have a burn in time period where your temps should improve by 2c to 3c, sometimes rarely even a little more, usually after a couple of days of constant use.

So when you removed the TT120 obviously you could see you had good contact with the CPUs heat spreader, right?

My TT120 had a rough finished base, it was flat but rough textured which caused a lot of the original buyers to have to lapp our TT120s, I'm not familiar if Tuniq has improved their base since they received a lot of customer complaints about it, is your Tuniq base rough or mirror finished?

If its rough then lapping it would yield better temps, however lapping your Q6600s heat spreader instantly voids your Intel Warranty, I wouldn't suggest that to you unless you were fully prepared to loose your warranty.

The TT120 is intimidating because of its size but once you remove the fan carriage, its a lot easier to lapp than some of the other heatsinks I've lapped.

There is a lapping guide stickied at the top of this section.
m
l
!