budweiser143

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Going to get the 9950, just not sure which one. What is the difference between the retail version and the OEM version?

sailer

Splendid
Typically OEM has a shorter warranty period, like 90 days instead of three years. I bought a 9950 BE retail version a few days ago for $179 and free shipping from Newegg. Haven't had a chance to do much with it yet. It has a very nice heatsink. Not good enough for overclocking the 9950, but it could be used on a lower chip and give some good cooling. As for overclocking, it shouldn't matter whether you get retail or OEM. Do check the prices carefully, as I've heard that some OEM chips were being listed for more money than the retail chips.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Not 90 days. Intel OEM is 1 year, retail 3 year.

sailer

Splendid

That's exactly what I meant about checking the prices. Seems really weird, paying less money to get a heatsink, full instructions, etc for the same chip, but that's the way the way Newegg priced them.

Intel does not provide ANY warranty if you buy their OEM processors AS AN END USER. The only warranty INTEL or AMD provide for their OEM processors is if you buy from a recognized OEM builder and the warranty is serviced through the OEM builder. AMD refused to honor ANY warranty for an OEM processor I bought from Newegg recently. After some research, this is what I have learned. Buy an OEM processor, have a problem, contact Intel or AMD for warranty service and you will be told to CONTACT THE OEM builder and go through them. No other OEM warranty is in effect.