Sign in with
Your question

Folder Deletion Problem

Last response: in Windows XP
November 24, 2010 6:23:06 PM

Attempted to delete a folder that contains Star Office files that came with the machine. Deletion cannot proceed because file: "msvcp71.dll" cannot be deleted. Never encountered this before. Since Star Office is freely available it is not needed on the machine.

Is there a workaround to this? Guidance sought
November 24, 2010 6:32:00 PM

Deleting folders is never a good way to uninstall programs. You may not catch all the files the program uses and you'll be left with rubbish in the registry. Always use the uninstall program or uninstall from the Control Panel.

Anyway, I would guess that some program is using that DLL, which is why you can't delete it. Try booting in Safe Mode and moving that file somewhere else. (I wouldn't recommend deleting it becasue if some other program needs it you may break that program. This way, if something stops working, you can move the DLL into \Windows\System32, which should fix it.)
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:09:57 PM

Much thanks for the timely reply. Just reviewed my post. The application was never installed. I know better than to delete installed application files. Still seeking an informed reply.
m
l
!