G

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on these forums and I have a few questions and perhaps I could get some thought from you all about building a gaming PC that will last me for a couple years and play the games that are releasing in the future (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, any new MMO, etc).

At first I was thinking of buying a Nvidia mobo with an Nvidia graphics card, but after reading over some articles here and across the net I found out that dual ATI Radeon HD 4850's run up to par with one Nvidia GTX 280. That means that I can save over 150 dollars on buying two Radeon cards and having the card run up to par with the GTX 280. Any thoughts on this?

However, here is what I had in mind for my gaming rig. I was thinking of getting DDR3 memory and a DDR3 mobo but its expensive for what its worth and DDR3 mobo's and memory are still new in the market and haven't taken off yet. Plus, DDR2 oriented will work just fine until DDR3 memory/mobo are necessary.

So with that said I had these components in mind:

Asus Radeon HD 4850 512MB - EAH4850 x2
Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache - ST3750330AS One to start out with and then I will add another down the road.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - BX80562Q6600
Antec TruePower Quattro - TPQ-1000
Zalaman Cooling Fan/Heatsink - CNPS9700
Antec Nine Hundred - Nine Hundred

Now I'm not sure as to what mobo I should get and that is why I posted here. Any suggestions on a mobo or any of my current possible components?

However, I was thinking of maybe getting a Nvidia mobo and using ATI cards but I don't know if that would work too well. The reason why I was thinkin that is because Nvidia's graphics cards seem a little pricey for what I want in my gaming rig to last me for a couple years. I mean if I can get two cards or even one that is up to par with one of the newer higher end cards made by Nvidia I'd rather get that then buy a really high end card from Nvidia and spend a lot of money.

Now here are the mobo's that I have thought over in the past:

Nvidia 780i
Nvidia 790i ultra sli

Asus Maximus II Formula
Asus P5E

What do you all think?

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
You would want to go with an x48 mobo if you plan to crossfire. Nvidia chipsets are more pain in the neck than intel when it come to overclocking. Wouldn't recommend getting an nvidia mobo unless you are planning to sli. Good choice on cpu, case, video and hdd.

G

Gaming Rig - Perhaps Final?

Asus Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Asus Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W
Zalaman Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Antec Nine Hundred
Asus Rampage Formula
G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066

What do you all think?