Battery Capacity

Tags:
  • Battery
  • Notebooks
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 10, 2008 1:24:01 AM

This is the third battery I've tried, it lasts about 50 minutes in my hp dv9000t notebook.

Now I just installed Ubuntu and I see this

How can I make it charge to the full capacity???

Thanks!!

More about : battery capacity

September 10, 2008 4:13:08 AM

You can't. Everytime you charge an Lithium ion battery it loses a tiny bit of capacity - Over time the battery will become less and less efficient in storing energy. I'm guessing you've had the battery a while?

You're options are to either buy a new battery, keep the laptop plugged in, or buy a new laptop (obviously with a new battery).
September 10, 2008 4:15:25 AM

Richie_W said:
You can't. Everytime you charge an Lithium ion battery it loses a tiny bit of capacity - Over time the battery will become less and less efficient in storing energy. I'm guessing you've had the battery a while?

Your options are to either buy a new battery, keep the laptop plugged in, or buy a new laptop (obviously with a new battery).

Related resources
September 10, 2008 5:43:51 AM

Did you buy it used? Old batteries lose capacity over time - all you can do is get a new battery. Of course, if that's a new battery, something is seriously wrong.
September 10, 2008 12:22:09 PM

It's brand new! I just got it and had two before it that had the same problem.
September 10, 2008 5:23:48 PM

Where can I get one of these Li-Ion calibration programs I keep reading about? There is none in my bios.
September 10, 2008 5:57:12 PM

spork985 said:
It's brand new! I just got it and had two before it that had the same problem.

I sounds like a hardware fault else where. Perhaps a dodgy power supply connection isn't providing sufficient juice to charge the battery? I don't know, but it is VERY unlikely to receive 3 defective batteries - unless it was a bad batch.
September 10, 2008 8:05:12 PM

Richie_W said:
I sounds like a hardware fault else where. Perhaps a dodgy power supply connection isn't providing sufficient juice to charge the battery? I don't know, but it is VERY unlikely to receive 3 defective batteries - unless it was a bad batch.

By power supply, are you referring to the external transformer or something inside the laptop itself?
September 10, 2008 8:30:07 PM

Either. It is hard to say.

Try taking out the battery, plugging the laptop in to the mains and turning it on. Does it work?
September 10, 2008 9:49:38 PM

Richie_W said:
Either. It is hard to say.

Try taking out the battery, plugging the laptop in to the mains and turning it on. Does it work?

Yup, works fine. I don't like using it this way though because the battery acts as an UPS.

*puts back in