Sign in with
Your question

Samsung SH-222L can't read discs in Win7?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2009 10:52:01 PM

I have a Samsung SH-222L drive with the most up to date firmware from Samsung and I'm running Windows 7. For some reason, it'll just sit there and keep reading the disc and not stop when I put in any disc (blank recordable media seems to be ok though). I don't know if this drive is defective or what, but I do recall having a similar problem in the past with another drive and it turned out to be a firmware issue. Does anyone else know what this could be? Has anyone else experienced this?
a b G Storage
November 24, 2009 1:36:10 PM

Run an optical drive benchmark.
Nero Toolkit - CD-DVD Speed + InfoTool or DVDInfo Pro.
See if the problem is limited to only DVDs as opposed to CDs.

November 24, 2009 11:38:49 PM

evongugg said:
Run an optical drive benchmark.
Nero Toolkit - CD-DVD Speed + InfoTool or DVDInfo Pro.
See if the problem is limited to only DVDs as opposed to CDs.

Well, the drive isn't actually functional when it's doing this. I put the disc into the drive, it immediately starts to spin up and start reading the disc non-stop. I can't even access it or do anything else with it because it's reading the disc, but not actually doing anything. I think it might have something to do with Windows 7 and the annoying way it insists on reading the contents of everything on discs. Is there a way to shut that off?
November 26, 2009 12:06:10 AM

Fixed it. I changed the IDE cable to the one that came with my new motherboard and everything is working beautifully now. I guess the old cable has seen better days.
!