TV Tuner Help

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I recently hooked up my Xbox 360 to my PC and got them to reconize each other. I know that with a TV Tuner, I can record TV on my computer's hard drive like a DVR, and I'm pretty sure I can then watch it on my TV using the 360, right? I've been looking around for TV Tuners on Newegg, and am very confused. I have no experience with these componets. So my questions are:
1. Are there any higher quality brands of TV Tuners that I should prefer in my purchase?
2. How do I know if it will let me record TV like a DVR?
3. Can I stream recorded content to the 360 and from there to the TV?
4. My biggest question, is there such a thing as a High Definition TV Tuner? If there is, can I theoretically record in high definition to my hard drive and watch the high definition recording on my tv through the 360? My TV is high definiton and the 360 is using an HDMI cable to connect to it.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
not sure that's all correct but i'm on here to figure out why i can't get vista to work with my hdtv cable box. i can't get my vista remote to change channels while doing setup in media center and so it won't finish and won't set up my channels.

about your questions though, there are high def tuners (sony actually sells them) but they can't be used by anyone except someone that buys a specific prebuilt system as best i can tell. i just bought the xhd3000 as part of my new build and was hoping to watch hdtv on it.

my understanding is that you can watch local channels in hd however. i know you can over the air with rabbit ears, but my understanding is you can also through a cable box (let you know for sure if i can get media center to play nice with my remote).

also, you might want to look up hauppauge. they make good stuff including a box which records hdtv content in hd format so you can watch it later in hd. also allows you to record it onto regular dvd media i believe, still in in hdtv format. none of this seems all that useful without cable cards being both available and usable however.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
maybe i'm wrong about this. i have all of the cable channels on media center now, way more than i know what to do with, but i don't see any resolution changes in any of these. i don't see any hd. someone help out here?

thanks.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
okay, striking out completely here. i don't know how to do this yet, but i'd love some help. this is the card i just installed and it says you can not only watch hd channels with it, but that you can do it in media center if you can figure out just what this guy did to get them.

let me know if you know how this is done guys. i'll try it out as it's the card i just installed.

[After installing the drivers from the included disc, I set up the new tuners in Windows Media Center. My PC automatically detected the HD-DVR 2250's tuners and started the signal wizard, but you can also start it manually by navigating to Settings |TV | Set up TV signal. Here's the trick: I used the wizard to configure the tuners as if they were ATSC antennas; then I ran the QAM plug-in, which detected the 20 or so unencrypted channels Cablevision broadcasts in Brooklyn, New York. Video quality was crisp and clear, and the sound was sharp too.]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2320616,00.asp

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
i've also got no antenna yet. but it doesn't appear you need one from this article. this is why i immediately went out and bought this tuner card. this is the beginning of the article if you didn't click on the link and read it yet.

"You're already paying your cable company a monthly fee for the TV you watch. Why should you pay them for a cable box as well? Good news: You don't have to. Using a TV tuner card that supports QAM, the technical name for the video signal your cable provider supplies, you can plug the cable feed directly into your computer—and return that box. Nearly all cable providers transmit the major networks unscrambled, often called "clear QAM," though you'll need a CableCARD-based PC to receive the encrypted, premium channels. The newest card from Hauppauge Computer Works, the WinTV-HVR-2250 ($129 direct) has two high-quality tuners, to bring a world of high-def goodness to your PC. No cable box required."