rcdraco

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
My brother was complaining lately about how his computer is slow, and since I had the same pc some time ago, I suggested he upgrade the cpu. I ordered an e7200 core2duo 2.53ghz for him. It arrived today, I installed it just as the instructions explain. I boot the pc, and nothing happens. The pc is an e-machine w3506, mine was the same model, but I had professionals install a pentium D 2.8ghz, I'm unsure of the version of it.

My brother's pc currently doesn't beep, doesn't display anything on the screen, just the orange standby light. The CPU and PSU fans do spin, but the rear fan doesn't, and the power light doesn't come on either, nor the harddrive light. I've tried stripping the thermal paste and adding a new layer, it still is doing that. Numlock doesn't light up or anything.

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Your emachine has the Radeon Xpress 200 chipset which doesn't support any processors of the Core-Class. You are limited to processors of the Pentium 4 era. So the best processor for that computer would be some Pentium D, like the one you got.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
A Core 2 E21x0 or E22x0 series chip should, in theory, work as well. They are meant to be backwards compatible which is also why they are in many places sold as a Pentium Dual Core.

What does your brother do with his machine?
If it is basic surfing, watching movies, homework, music, ext. he would probably see a much better performance increase from upgrading the 512Mb of RAM rather than the CPU. Return the CPU and get him 2Gb of PC4200. A 3.2Ghz Celly should still be more than enough power for basic use.

According to Wikipedia, the Xpress 200 chipset supports the Core 2 arch up to a 1066Mhz FSB.
IF (and that's a BIG IF) your eMachines BIOS will support it, your motherboard is physically capable of running your new CPU. Most likely, you will not be able to run any of the newer 45nm CPU's but you may get lucky and get one of the older 65nm CPU's to work. If the upgraded RAM does not give enough of a performance increase, try your P4D 2.8Ghz or an E2180 or E4300. If nothing else works, you can get a cheap Mb, CPU RAM and PSU for around $250 for a much better upgrade.

eMachines W3506 Product Page

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006

Really? Haven't heard that before. They're based on the Allendale/Conroe architecture though, how would they be backwards compatible?

I second the memory upgrade notion. And upon further consideration:

Why is your brother complaining *lately* ? Has he expanded his usage of the PC or does the PC just appear to be slower? If the latter is the case, a simple defragmentation of the hard drive could suffice or maybe a reinstalling of Windows.

rcdraco

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
He runs Team Fortress 2. On my pc when I added the pentium D I got a boost of at least 50fps. His main problem is that newer and newer games require a more powerful cpu. At this point I think I fried the motherboard, so I ordered a new one, but now only to find out that it probably doesn't support the e7200 either, and frankly I don't see the point in spending $100 on a motherboard when it's not even for my pc. >_<

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I don't think you "fried" the motherboard by attempting to run a non-supported CPU.

Newer games not only lust for a more powerful CPU, they especially lust for more RAM (assuming your brother never upgraded the original 512mb) and a good graphics card (I sure hope your brother isn't still playing with the graphics integrated in the Xpress 200 chipset).

A new motherboard doesn't necessarily cost $100. There's a good assortment of mobos with Intel G31 chipset that sell in the $50 range. They would support the E7200 you already have. Add-in another 1 gig of DDR2 memory (<$20) and you're good to go. Unless your brother is still gaming with the Integrated graphics. Then it would be time to buy a discrete graphics card.