Mainboard Makers Bid Adieu to Nvidia Core-Logic Sets

Complete story on X-bit Labs.

Inside prospective on NVIDIA quitting chipsets
Complete story on Tweaktown

Feel free to discuss. :)

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Nvidia to quit chipset business, That's the best news I've ever heard.
I have 4 nforce based motherboards which ain't fit for ****.
I had to replace 3 of them. The only one that I have left, is one built on the Nforce3 chipset which doesn't support Vista but at least I don't get data corruption, lock ups, and BSOD's.
I hope Nvidia releases there ULi stock to either AMD, VIA or back to ALi were it belonged in the first place.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

They always deny. It's called "Damage Control". Then you have the "boom".

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I really don't think that Nvidia is going to quit making chipsets - but to be honest it is likely the best thing that they could do. If they started cooperating with Intel/AMD better and licensing their SLI tech to them, then they could concentrate all of their resources into GPUs which was always their strong point.

AMD has suffered the same flaw by picking up ATI - their CPU business took a total dive as a result and they lost a ton of money in restructuring and getting their company back into a normal order. They are only just now starting to turn it around with CPUs, the most recent Phenom BE's are pretty acceptible tech.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Yeah, I do feel that while this may be a false alarm, nVidia quitting their chipset business could be a good move; they could possibly have some assets there that they could pawn off to someone else to get some quick cash, and likewise, they could focus more on their GPUs. Best of all, though, is that SLi could regain market share that it's been slowly-yet-steadily losing to CrossFire. SLi is in danger even as nVidia makes chipsets, given that CrossFire has managed to mature to effectively the same level as SLi in terms of performance and compatability, but has the added edge that you can use it on Intel's ubiquitous chipsets. If nVidia quit making their own, and simply licensed it to everyone, that could make the available market for SLi a whole lot bigger than it is right now. Of course, there's the sticky issue of AMD's chipsets, given that they are also effectively ATi chipsets, too...

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I think if nothing else, Nvidia is going to release a Nehalem board which will be produced by board partners XFX and EVGA at least; they already have the license, so its likely they will go ahead with that.

The 750I and 790I are good enough chipsets for what will become Intel's entry-level cpus, the Q9000 and E8000 chips.

If NV is smart about it, they'll just release 1 good, solid, proven tested Nehalem board to replace the 790I flagship - and after that, just concentrate on GPUs.

I think if Nvidia DID exit the chipset business, it wouldn't be until after their Nehalem board - but i'd say its quite likely that their next flagship board is in developement and being tested as we speak.

azorees

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

Your Nforce 3 board don't support vista? in what way. i have a kn8e-deluxe Asus Nforce 3 board and up to date i have run winxp pro 32 + 64 bit and also vista 32 + 64bit without any problems so this tells me that the Nforce 3 chipset is more than capable of running vista, i thought vista was all down to cpu and ram to run smoothly, i have an AMD 3200+ 64 and 2gb of balistixs ram and vista run ok even the 64 bit version was fine, didn't run as fast as dualk or quad core but it ran it and i also had a gainward 7800GS+ 512 all i'm saying is it worked for me

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Nforce 2 was such a nice chipset. It's too bad that when SLI came out, they decided they would make money off of SLI lockdown instead of quality chipsets.