Need a new MB with ISA slot. Help?

Triaxis

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Hi, thanks for reading this. I've been given the task of finding a new motherboard, mem and cpu. The problem is that the new board has to have an ISA slot. My boss has a phone board that he will not part with so that is the task at hand. I haven't even seen a mb for sale with an ISA slot in I don't know how long. Anyone have any recommendations for a source or model?

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

good luck with that. isa hasn't existed as an interface since 1993 when it was replaced with PCI.

Not often you see a call for 30yo technology [:wr2:5]
13-136-011-04.jpg

I don't suppose your boss is ready for VOIP? [:wr2:5]
What's his monthly phone bill like?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Sweet! That board has the 16 bit ISA slots. 8 bit slots were LAME!

Now can someone help me find an ESDI HD controller that works in an EISA slot? And I've got some MCA cards lying around that I'd really like to put in service. Man, this is gonna be SWEET!

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Why do they exist?

For industrial applications (and there are tens of thousands of them). Expensive capital equipment that interfaces to a PC and the PC needs a refresh. The attached equipment will be around for many years so there is a need for interface compatibility.

If you look in the industrial realm you will find many places offering various types of legacy support. It will be more expensive than the gamer world stuff because they are not mass produced, but I have not priced them recently. You would need to contact one of the distributors and get a quote or estimate.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
< Uncontrollably laughing at work

And I thought S775 AGP boards were rediculous....
Anyone know where I can find some vacuum tubes for my punchcard machine?

To the OP: if your boss needs it I have a 486DX, a DX2, and a Pentium processor laying around for posterity sake, as well as a single 1MB stick of 30-pin SIMM FPM memory.

Sound Blaster 16, 56k modem and Radio Track card, your coming back to life.

For real, if a company has a controller of other device that was ISA, they are not gonna want to change it out(same reason many companies still use Windows 2000 and even NT, they just do not have the time to get new software when they have a working solution.). Those ISA boards may sell better then you think.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

On a more serious note, I must agree. I work in the chemical industry, and if you have a computer control system for your process you don't like to change anything at all unless you're doing a major system overhaul (a step-change). I was at a plant one time that was refusing to change a computer system from ~1994 (mind you this was in 2004) because of the system they had in place for it. The CRT monitor was so dim and out of focus they rarely turned on the lights in the room (and this wasn't on a 15-pin RGB interface, so replacement was not an option). The mouse cost $150 when it broke in 2002 because it wasn't even a serial mouse (I forget the bus). They finally replaced it with all new computer and control software when the monitor burned out one day. Three reactors ... no computer .... OH NOES!!!!