I can't imagine asking this but I need some input. I got lucky and was able to get my hands on a new 24" LCD for cheaper then most 19", the whole issue is video and resolution. Now I am currently running an Intel P4 D820@2.8Ghz stock, an ECS P4M800Pro mobo, a BFG 6800GT OC AGP 8x video card, 2 GB dual channel DDR2 667 ram, plus Sata HD, 450Wt PS, etc. Now really where I am going is I don't do upgrades often, as you can plainly see, and I have a child so I just can't spend on components. I do have a little on the side and was wondering if I will still have issues later on. I will be changing my Mobo to an ASRock mobo with PCIe, an OCZ 600Wt StealthExtreme PS and an ASUS Radeon HD 3870G/TOP/512Mb video card. I will be using the rest of the components left over. I was really curious to know if my CPU will bottleneck the video card, if the video card will be able to handle the 1920x1200 display and is it worth the $360 Canadian to upgrade this way? Suggestions?? Anyone???? That's about the budget I can spend.
Yes, there will be a massive bottleneck. My friend has the same cpu and he can't play Mass Effect with full settings at 1280x768, where as with my Q6600 (tested @ 3.8ghz) and the same video card I can easily do those settings and much more.
Since you will have such a high res if you want to max out games it will take more than a 3870 to do that. I also wouldn't go with an OCZ psu, they are pretty bad quality.
My best advise would be to save up until about Q1 '09 when Core i7 should be out in full force.
Thanks Guys, I have to change the mobo for one with PCIe and the current PS I have won't cut it, I already have used the OCZ PS before and it is currently in one of my buddies system that I built with no issues. The mobo is $130, the PS is $90 and VC is $130. The Antec PS is only $13 cheaper, not much towards CPU. The E7200 is $150, I can't afford that, Like I said, Budget Is actually $375, and all these are listed prices, I get it at discount though so I pay listed price total, tax included.
I think you can do better.
The 3870 is a very good jump over your 6600GT, and you should see a nice increase, even with your old cpu. It is, not, however as good a value as the stronger 9800GT-512 or the 8800GT-512. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2011-2.html A EVGA unit is $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380 sharp shopping may do better.
Since the good vga cards require pci=e, you have correctly determined that the mobo must change. The Gigabyte EP35-DS3L goes for $85.
I would add 2gb more of your DDR2-667 ram for $40. Heres why: http://www.corsairmemory.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf
You can get a E5200 cpu for $89. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072&Tpk=E5200
That totals $334. I know that's US$, but it is in the ballpark.
What about the PSU? What is your current psu? If it is of good quality, and it has a 6 pin pci-e connector, you should be good to go. If not, the Corsair 450VX will do the job at $55. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138122 (just fyi, im not intel mobo expert...)
and if you can afford this gpu, you definitely will be satisfied with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770 (has $20 mail in rebate)
Total before mail in rebate: $410
Total after mail in rebate: $390
Well I did some searching and I can get this http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600Twins-P35 Mobo for $105, I can get this http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=8&l3=603&l4=0&model=1967&modelmenu=1 for $119, The OCZ PS I will get anyways @ $89 Which equals $313, and I can push it to get an Intel Core 2 duo E5200 for $99 which brings mt total to $412. I can probably get away with this. Now I hope this would be a little better. BTW, the games I do play are COD4, Oblivion, NFS Carbon/Most Wanted/Underground 2, Quake 3, UT3, Half-life 2... not playing Crysis or Hellgate London, but am hoping this new little upgrade will survive for Diablo 3. Thanks a million everyone, I think I have enough suggestions and I again hope this will do.
Quote:Why not resell the 24" inch at a profit, then buy a smaller display and use the rest of the money for your components?
Not a bad suggestion but if the OP is like most of us then turning loose of a 24" monitor to go to a 19" isnt very appealing. You can either wait until you get a few more bucks together and keep the 24" monitor in the box.
You will most always benefit from waiting a little longer if you can to benefit from price drops and newer releases.