Using a computer as a HD-DVR

TurdFerguson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm planning on building a HTPC for my parents. They just got a 72 inch 1080p HDTV, and I figure I'll help them get the best out of it. My parents subscribe to Cablevision IO, and have a HD box connected to the HDTV. I want to be able to use MythTV to record HD content, provided by the HD cable box. Now I have a few questions. What kind of tuner do I need that will let me record in HD? I see a bunch of tuners that support OTA and QEM encrypted HD, but I'm not interested in that. My parents pay for premium HD content from Cablevision, and I want to use that content. Also, how will I hook up the HD cable box to the tuner card? And finally, will ALL channels the HD box provides be recordable? Thank you!

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
It may be easy from them to get a HD DVR cable box and that will let them
With DVR for iO you can:

* One touch recording
* Pause live TV
* Record an entire season of your favorite show
* Record one show while watching another
* Record two shows while watching one
* Use picture-in-picture to watch two live shows at once
* Store up to 100 hours of Standard Definition Television programming and 24 hours of HD programming!

http://www.optimum.com/io/dvr/index.jsp

vs less with the pc set and HDCP may block some channels as well in that setup.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

You need a box for on demand, SDV, ppv and some premiums. TIVO HD may work when they get there 2 way system up and running.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You wont be able to record HD from your Cable box. They like to sell you the DVR box and service to record so they make more money.

If there was a way to rcord HD you would need a HDMI or Component in on the capture card. And if you can find a card with the right inputs the signal is probably encrypted, so it wont work anyhow.

I've researched this a few months ago because I want to do the same. I havent found a solutin.

If you find a solution please let me know.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

And even if you could you will need 2 or more cable boxes to be able to record the same as the there own box.

TIVO may work some day with cable cards.