Noctua NH-U12P and i7 920 Temperature Too High?

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Hello members of the Tom's Hardware forums!

I recently built a new PC that includes the following:

i7 920 (now overclocked to 3.2Ghz)
Noctua NH-U12P 1336 Edition Cooler
EVGA GTX 260 (Overclocked to superclocked speeds)
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
Corsair HX750 PSU
Corsair 6GB (2GBx3) XMP RAM
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case to house it all.

The computer works great, but I am a little worried about my CPU temperatures. The first time I put the computer together, the temps were about 47-48c idle and like 75c during Prime 95's Torture Test. After I remounted today, my idle temps are about 43c and I havent tried Prime 95 yet to get my load temps. But anyway, I think that my idle temps a re a little higher than what they should be. By reading some reviews of the cooler on Newegg, I saw that most people were getting in the 30's idle (shile they were overclocked). My question is why is mine so much hotter and is there anyway to fix it?

My room is pretty hot (summer, no A/C)
I dont know how to undervolt but would learn how to if I had too
Measuring temps with RealTemp

Help is appreciated! Thank you!

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Ummm well I just found something unusual. I opened up speed fan for some reason and I double taked at the CPU temps it showed!

Speedfan shows that the CPU Temp is 33c, core0: 29c core1: 29c core2: 27c core3: 27c core 4: 28c

While at the same time Realtemp shows: 44, 42, 44, 42.

The speed fan temps do move a little bit so that shows that it is working. Which temperatures are right? Speedfan's or Realtemps? (I hope its speedfans!!)

mrmeowmix2300

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Well since it is the 1336 edition it comes with one more fan. However, other than the manual itself saying the losses are like 2c, I would have to plug the fan into the only fan header left on my mobo, the PWR_fan one. I had a fan in it before and it worked so I guess I COULD do that.

Also, i was thinking. Maybe the people who say that they are in the 30's got that number from speedfan! Because I just dont see how my temps can be 10c higher than theirs! Ill see if cooling my room better helps.

randomizer

Champion

Every program can retrieve Tjunction Target from an MSR in Core i7 and Tjunction Max is generally very close to this, unlike in Core 2 (except Speedfan which still just uses some old guesswork for some reason, but can easily be offset).