intel pentium 4 (670) 3.8ghz
2000 ram
geforce 9800gtx+ 512mb
500gb hdd
motherboard id <dmi>
front side bus. bus type intel GTL+ bus width 64 bit
cpu sockets/slots 1 LGA775
motherboard chipset nforce4 -sli- x16- intel
motherboard manufacturer dell computer corporation.

ok i'm upgrading to a pentium dual core e2200 2.2ghz. because this pentium 4 is running too hot and i dont like them. i rang dell technical support twice to see would i be able to upgrade to dual core (not pentium d) and the technician remotly connected to my pc and told me my motherboard is fully compatable with the e2200 dual core. i was happy with that till i heard from a few people online that my motherboard will not be able to use a dual core. i'm getting conflicting reports on either side but why would dell tell me it is compatable and these other guy's are telling me it's not. would love to hear some help on this as i'm stuck. according to the sticky post nForce4 SLI Intel edition, VIA PT880, PM880 based motherboards supports dual core CPUs. so will i be ok with dual core ? thanks

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
toss it

3.8 is hot chip it will run 4.25gz if know who to tune it and cool it

at this point the single core is a real dog - get a quad for $200 toss it new $100 mobo

while i did not look up your mobo i doubt any 670j system would support a e2200 i can not believer dell would put a 4 year cpu in a less then a 2 year old mobo

i am guessing

mick_01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
well i got the e2200 dual core and it does not work. so i reinstalled the pentium 4. seems like those technicians should not be called technicians as they dont seem to know their arm from their elbow. definatly not compatable. dell says it might be the processor was dead on arrival. i don't believe them...anyway thanks for the help

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i told you!

you can email me for real advice! while many amd lovers and white tower techies lov to criticize me - i actually work in the trenches.

best advice is to get a new mobo, while you may loose some proprietary cables you do not need them.

facts:

dells sucks, dell is all about profit - if they cared about the end user they use high end mobos from a mobo maker not make up there own crappie mobos.

second, you may have a proprietary - you may not be able to swap to new mobo. Note: hp does not even stoup this low

why do all this? its call profit! its called scewing the customer since few know better!

third, if need a new psu, a new mobo and new cpu it may be trash! ebay it!

and start again sorry to say it

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Who ever got that Nvidia stuff needs to clean windows or something...

Its a Dell and as dells being dells only dell knows what processors work in its poop motherboards....
Although the chipset maybe compatible,, it may not necessarily run the chip as it will not be supported in the bios...

Go and buy your self a cheap pc case and a new motherboard and a new processor..... Re use your existing DVD and hard disks drives , then the video card if any and sell the rest on ebay for spares...

Good luck