error: display driver atikmdag stopped responding (8.7 driver)

I have 1 4850 that mostly runs quite well. However, on some games, the screen flickers and the game crashes, and I get the following message:

display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered

I can't seem to isolate it, other than some games give me this error, others don't. However, I haven't kept a good enough log of things to say for sure when it happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
10 answers Last reply
More about error display driver atikmdag stopped responding driver
  1. it sometimes happens me. only since i got a 2nd monitor though. i have the hd 3870 (@ 830/1241) and sometimes i get the error. i usually play games all day, part time jobs give me hours to spend sitting at the command center haha.

when gaming it can pop up aswell, i never had the problem as far as i can remember, it may have once or twice. have you OCed your card at all?
  2. Getting this error a lot with 8.7 and a saphire 4870, even when not gaming.
  3. ^Are you using XP or Vista? I myself get that with 8.6 drivers only if I watch a lot of Flash based (Youtube) video but never when I am gaming or watching a DVD/video file.
  4. I'm on Vista 64-bit Home Premium.
  5. same OS for me, vista x64 HP
  6. Vista 64bit hp here as well
  7. that makes 3 of us haha. i was watchin a movie earlier on in VLC. and it crashed. i think it could just be a driver issue. im not that bothered though!
  8. smyffalis said:
    that makes 3 of us haha. i was watchin a movie earlier on in VLC. and it crashed. i think it could just be a driver issue. im not that bothered though!

Now my HTPC will need WinXp 32. Bah. No Vista 64 for my 3850. Sapphire.

Pff. Better now than when i have everything rigged up and running.
  9. radnor said:
    Now my HTPC will need WinXp 32. Bah. No Vista 64 for my 3850. Sapphire.

Pff. Better now than when i have everything rigged up and running.

I suspect thats a bit of an over reaction Ive known bad driver versions for both operating systems, I remember one version of nvidia drivers for xp that were an absolute disaster for some of the games I played... In fact the one of the earliest drivers I had for my 8800gtx gave me some very nasty graphics artifacts in oblivion rendering the game unplayable, that was one of the main games I got the card for :lol: it was fixed before long. I dont doubt this problem will be 8.6 seems stable enough under vista 64.
  10. Yeah 8.6 seemed more stable for me as well. 8.8 soon? :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Games Graphics Displays