Changing the default browser

August 25, 2005 11:56:24 PM

I use Firefox as my main web browser. I've set it as the default
browser in Internet Properties and most of the time it appears when I
want it to.

However, some third-party software will insist, when it needs to access
the internet (e.g. when I'm trying to register it), on trying to open
Internet Explorer.

Is this some quirk of the third-party software, or is there anything I
can do in Windows XP (home) to fix this minor annoyance?

Steve
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:56:25 PM

I don't think you can fix that.. as it probably is the only browser
option that the 3rd party software is sure you have.

I also have that problem some times, and with some programs the only
solution I found was already having a Firefox window open.. that way
the program would open the site in the current browser you're using. It
works in some cases, others not..

Maybe it's the Microsoft way of telling you.. use Internet Explorer!
:rolleyes:

--
Heritage
Heritage's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4257

Stephen Glynn Wrote:
> I use Firefox as my main web browser. I've set it as the default
> browser in Internet Properties and most of the time it appears when I
> want it to.
>
> However, some third-party software will insist, when it needs to
> access
> the internet (e.g. when I'm trying to register it), on trying to open
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Is this some quirk of the third-party software, or is there anything I
> can do in Windows XP (home) to fix this minor annoyance?
>
> Steve

Try going into Add or Remove Programs and then click on the Set Program
Access and Defaults. In there, you can set specify default programs
whether they're from Microsoft or not. Under the Web browser section,
try setting the Remove Access option set to Internet Explorer.

If you are that annoyed with IE showing up, why don't you just get rid
of it for good? Uninstall it and I doubt it will show its face again.

How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6
http://tinyurl.com/63w32

--
Evolution54
August 26, 2005 7:59:36 AM

Evolution54,
IE6 is part of WinXP, you won't be able to remove it. And if you could, you would probably cause problems with your installation of WinXP.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Evolution54" <Evolution54.1ucwdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:Evolution54.1ucwdq@pcbanter.net...

Try going into Add or Remove Programs and then click on the Set Program
Access and Defaults. In there, you can set specify default programs
whether they're from Microsoft or not. Under the Web browser section,
try setting the Remove Access option set to Internet Explorer.

If you are that annoyed with IE showing up, why don't you just get rid
of it for good? Uninstall it and I doubt it will show its face again.

How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6
http://tinyurl.com/63w32

--
Evolution54
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:54:27 PM

Stephen Glynn <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:InpPe.2140
$qe5.1006@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

> I use Firefox as my main web browser. I've set it as the default
> browser in Internet Properties and most of the time it appears when I
> want it to.
>
> However, some third-party software will insist, when it needs to access
> the internet (e.g. when I'm trying to register it), on trying to open
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Is this some quirk of the third-party software, or is there anything I
> can do in Windows XP (home) to fix this minor annoyance?
>
> Steve

While you can't really completely remove IE EASILY, there are pages on
the web that have instructions on how to do it. google for that.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html is a utility that supposedly allow you
to do it.

nLite is a custom installer for XP, http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html ,
nLite allows you to take your existing XP CD and create a new XP install
CD from it where you can pick and choose what to/not to install, like OE,
all the unneeded services, Messenger, Dr. Watson, NetMeeting, the list
goes on and on, and does list IE. I have a new nLiteXP CD ready to try,
but need a new bigger HD first. supposedly from what i have read, you can
get the XP install down to a few hundred meg (not counting swap file).

what I have done on my PC is, at first I renamed IEXPLORE.EXE and deleted
it from the PREFETCH. Then I renamed the entire IE Folder. All the files
are still there, but it won't run as IE, which is what I think you'd be
happy with. now, whatever in the OS may use it can still use it, because
the OS doesn't open iexplore.exe, it uses the dll's of IE to do what it
needs. come to think of it, a 3rd party app may do the same, but nothing
can launch IEXPLORE.exe if it's not there.

Regards,

DanS

PS- Internet Explorer can't be THAT integrated into the OS, since in XP
Embedded, you can EASILY build an OS image without IE.. AS-a-matter-of-
fact, you can use XPEmbedded to create an XP OS for a desktop as well.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:08:40 AM

RRR_News Wrote:
> Evolution54,
> IE6 is part of WinXP, you won't be able to remove it. And if you could,
> =
> you would probably cause problems with your installation of WinXP.
>
> --=20
>
> Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com=20
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) message rule
>
> Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate=20
>

> "Evolution54" Evolution54.1ucwdq@pcbanter.net wrote in message =
>
> Try going into Add or Remove Programs and then click on the Set
> Program
> Access and Defaults. In there, you can set specify default programs
> whether they're from Microsoft or not. Under the Web browser section,
> try setting the Remove Access option set to Internet Explorer.
>
> If you are that annoyed with IE showing up, why don't you just get rid
> of it for good? Uninstall it and I doubt it will show its face again.
>
> How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6
> http://tinyurl.com/63w32
>

> --=20
> Evolution54

haha my bad....didn't know that....thanks for the info...For some
reason, even though I hardly use IE on any given day, I still find
myself using it whenever I do important transactions online like
shopping and all those other security related issues. Guess I'm just
strange like that....

--
Evolution54
Anonymous

Thanks (and to everyone else who replied). I don't particularly want
to get rid of IE, partly because this irritation isn't big enough for me
to want to put in much effort fixing it, but mostly because you need IE
fully to use a lot of sites (not least Microsoft's, of course, but there
are several British government sites that don't work properly in
anything other than IE).

I supposed there must be something in (e.g.) Serif Pageplus'
Registration Wizard that says 'launch IE' rather than 'launch the
default browser'. I just wondered either if there was some setting
other than the one in Internet Options that I could change in order to
alter the result of the instruction to 'launch IE'.

Can anyone think why a programmer, unless perhaps he worked for
Microsoft, would bother to specify which browser a Wizard should launch
unless he wanted to point to a site that only worked in IE?

Steve

DanS wrote:
> Stephen Glynn <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:InpPe.2140
> $qe5.1006@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:
>

>>I use Firefox as my main web browser. I've set it as the default
>>browser in Internet Properties and most of the time it appears when I
>>want it to.
>>
>>However, some third-party software will insist, when it needs to access
>>the internet (e.g. when I'm trying to register it), on trying to open
>>Internet Explorer.
>>
>>Is this some quirk of the third-party software, or is there anything I
>>can do in Windows XP (home) to fix this minor annoyance?
>>
>>Steve
>

> While you can't really completely remove IE EASILY, there are pages on
> the web that have instructions on how to do it. google for that.
>
> http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html is a utility that supposedly allow you
> to do it.
>
> nLite is a custom installer for XP, http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html ,
> nLite allows you to take your existing XP CD and create a new XP install
> CD from it where you can pick and choose what to/not to install, like OE,
> all the unneeded services, Messenger, Dr. Watson, NetMeeting, the list
> goes on and on, and does list IE. I have a new nLiteXP CD ready to try,
> but need a new bigger HD first. supposedly from what i have read, you can
> get the XP install down to a few hundred meg (not counting swap file).
>
> what I have done on my PC is, at first I renamed IEXPLORE.EXE and deleted
> it from the PREFETCH. Then I renamed the entire IE Folder. All the files
> are still there, but it won't run as IE, which is what I think you'd be
> happy with. now, whatever in the OS may use it can still use it, because
> the OS doesn't open iexplore.exe, it uses the dll's of IE to do what it
> needs. come to think of it, a 3rd party app may do the same, but nothing
> can launch IEXPLORE.exe if it's not there.
>

> Regards,
>
> DanS
>
> PS- Internet Explorer can't be THAT integrated into the OS, since in XP
> Embedded, you can EASILY build an OS image without IE.. AS-a-matter-of-
> fact, you can use XPEmbedded to create an XP OS for a desktop as well.

--

"It has been said," he began at length, withdrawing his eyes
reluctantly from an usually large insect upon the ceiling and