Northbridge HotHotHot!

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
So, earlier today i did some tweaking around with msconfig and next thing i know my computer doesnt POST and i get the 3 beeps... no biggy, turn the comp on its side, reset CMOS and everything works fine.... in the meantime i decide, well i already have my computer laying on its side my aswell run prime95 and check if heatsink getting enough air... so i touch and its nice and warm and slightly warmer towards the base but all core temps are under 60... so next thing i look at the northbridge andthats where my question comes in:

its an intel 975x chipset with a rather large aluminum heatsink on it, bout 2x1x1 inches and no fan... so i touch it and i couldn't keep my finger on it for more then 7 seconds... it was HOttttt!, i can't get the exact temps on it through speedfan, but comparing it to my 4850's i would have to guess between 70-85C...

question is.... should i be worried? i was already planning to stick a copper hsf on it within a couple of months

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
I've had that problem with almost every mobo i bought, mostly because i overclock a lot. Try to put a fan on the heatsink, youll be surprised how much cooler it will be. Buy a 40mm or 60mm fan and use double sided tape (the one u use to stick towel hangers for example) to stick it on theheatsink...or any other way...be creative lol. If it doesnt work try to replace it with an aftermarket one.

If it was that hot with the case open, with the case closed it will be hotter so I would do something.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
i mount a fan so it blows air across my motherboard and over my bridge sinks. makes a big difference.

i think the problem is mostly happening with modern after market cooling solutions. fans on heatsinks used to move air over the motherboard as well. now they seem to move air off the heatsink and straight out the back of the case, which is good for the cpu. but i think it leaves the air by your bridge heatsinks stagnant.

ummm with the right setup your better off with the case closed/sealed aka with the side pannel on - it forces hot stale air to be flushed

passively cooled chipsets do run warm, and you obviously havnt run into any nvidia chipsets in previous years :D

double sided tape tends to melt and sag etc - better off with some zip ties strategicly placed around the fan etc or screwed in for best results

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Man, i could tell you stories!

My nb now iwll burn your finger (literally) if you take the fan off. [:jaydeejohn:3]

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
i am working on a big cooling upgrade... planning to replace 2 fans and add another 4 or 5 plus a fanswitch... so i am considering everything before i make the large order