Sign in with
Your question

SSD Storage for a gamer

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2009 2:15:43 PM

I need to know, because I still have yet to see a conclusive study, and all of the topics in the forum seem to never mention/ask this question.

Does using a SSD/SSD-RAID-Array affect FPS in a game?

I know it affects application load time, system start time, I know it affects level load time, and I know it can have a profound effect on energy usage and productivity applications. But, I've always seen big gaming rigs eschew hard disks in favor of the SSD. Is this just a taste thing, as in app load times, etc., or is there a TANGIBLE effect on framerate in games?

Not that I'm a stickler, but I really could care less about personal account; I'd really like to see some data to back it up. I could say that switching from this to that made my system "so much faster," but it could just be placebo effect. I want to see numbers demonstrating that SSD performance affects frame rate.

I've seriously been looking for this data for over a year and can't seem to find anything that definitively says "SSDs have x% effect on FPS over a 7200/10,000/15,000rpm spinning disk." So, I am asking the Tom's community to help me out!

Thanks a million!

More about : ssd storage gamer

a c 415 G Storage
November 23, 2009 2:38:21 PM

This question is asked frequently on this forum and the answer is: it depends on the game. SSDs ONLY speed up disk accesses, and so they'll only help if the game you're running has to access the disk as it runs.

A well-written game will load everything into RAM to avoid slow disk accesses. It may have to access the disk during scene changes, but most of the time the gameplay will be independent of the disk.

On the other hand, if you don't have enough RAM to hold everything, then that might force the game to access the disk more often. If that's the case, you're probably better off buying RAM than a faster disk.
m
l
November 23, 2009 4:23:59 PM

Awesome, thank you, I don't keep my eyes on the forum much, I usually use search engines etc to access archive.

But this is the first time someone's give me a direct answer, and I really appreciate it! It more or less confirmed what I thought, and that's good enough for me!

Thank you very much for the straight answer, it's been insanely frustrating not finding one before!
m
l
!