6000+ cpu name unknown

swat9uk

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
ive been runing my 6000+ dual core cpu since it came out ,but its been buging me ever since ,even though i carnt notice any lag in the pc ,but everyware in the pc says the cpu is unknown??
if i was to go to properties it says im runing 3 gig ram ok then it says 1.21ghz for my cpu , ive played and played with everythink i think gone all through the bios whent to amd and the only thing i can think of is a incompabilty with my motherboard ABIT FATAL1TY AN9 32X , ive downloaded the dual core cpu driver from amd still no luck
and even the funy thing is i downloaded the cpu info .AMD. OWNS it tells me it is runing 3hgz eatch core but cpu is still unknown?
ive tried diffrent versions of xp ,and all say the same.
im not shure if i am runing at 1.21ghz or the full power

i whent on the look for some kind of overclocking software to see if that might help me or tell me a bit of truth, ive used the uguru befor but with errors so im after somethink diffrent if anyone knows of somethink ,
any links or information would be greatfull

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Update the bios. The clock is lower because Cool'nQuiet is on, it's a power saving feature. The clock speed will jump to 3ghz when you use demanding software eg. Games

Yep. You need a BIOS update. Your BIOS was written before your CPU was officially released, or you just got an older one off the shelf that has an earlier BIOS. Your board has everything it needs to be 100% compatable and make the CPU run at it's rated frequencies, it just does not have the information it needs to recognise the CPU and display it on-screen.

If your cpu is running at the rated speed (use cpuid, a free download), I wouldn't flash the bios. Not worth the risk of a bad flash and dead motherboard. When I use cpuid, the cpu speed varies right before my eyes as background stuff is running. If you show about 3000 for the cpu speed, I would leave it alone.

swat9uk

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
hi there thanks for all your replys about this ,i turned of the cool and quite and yes bingo problem solved ,its reading 3 ghz but the name of the cpu is still unknown ,and with everest so im going to try and update the bios and ill let you know thank you

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
used or not ,one should always get the latest bios for any given mobo then,,even if you do not need/use it you can always flash it before you later sell it as it may not still be available..:)

swat9uk

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
well ive flashed it and ive noticed the diffrance in speed for shure ,in the end i just used the live one click tool what comes with the uguru abit and it now tells me everythink nice one thank you all for your help
its nice when things go smooth