450W Video Card on a 430W PSU ... will that work?

kermit_xc

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Howdy ... is there a way I can run a video card that requires 450W with a 430W power supply. Here is my configuration:

Phenom II X3 720@3.2Ghz
2xDDR2
2SATA HDD
1IDE DVD burner
Gigabyte MA790-UD4P
Antec 430W NeoPower PSU

kermit_xc

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

not really sure, but that's not the point here - I am just wondering why the video card specs. don't list peak power requirements (or do they and I don't know where to look). I am not going to drop $$ on 1kW PSU just because the box told me so! that's just BS.

this here: http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine tells me I need 218W

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
The psu requirements are always greatly exaggerated. They are looking at a worst case scenario with a old, inefficient power supply running a ton of other components. In a normal system a video card with a power requirement of 450w can run on a 350w or higher PSU.

Sure you can, that 450W requirement is probably the maximum draw that mystery graphics card will draw, so thats why higher rated power supplies are recommended, so you have power to spare when its actually needed.

However in your case, as long as you'll only be sending emails, and surfing the internet you're going to be just fine man.

Of course if you're any kind of a gamer and start pulling that 3D power from that Graphics card to play your favorite game, and your system begins to crash everytime you try to play your favorite 3D intensive game, you'll see why a good supporting power supply, is not an after thought with todays graphics cards.

So let us know how that goes for you? OK

Oh BTW, thats a nice 400Mhz OC on your X3 720, did you allow for the added power draw being used to OC the CPU? Just Curious.

Yes, it is the point. You want to know if your PSU will power your system and a particular video card, then you do not tell us what kind of video card.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Looks like his CPU is OCed by multiplier.

I think he would game as no one should buy a graphics card with max power draw of 450W just to surf the web. Otherwise, he should stick with an IGP. Do yourself a favor and get a more appropriate PSU for you. You don't want to run your PSU at 100% because it would be crazy. :p

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
If a card has a recommended PSU of 450 it doesn't mean ITS draw is 450, it just means that the power supply recommended for the whole system is 450...and they always exaggerate what is needed.

kermit_xc

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I told ya'll ... a video card that has 450W in the requirements box :) I left it out on purpose for the very sake of this thread :). Unless you want to tell me that there is a site that lists popular computer components with it's peak power consumption - I don't see a reason why a "what card is it" really matters ...

thanks for the replies.

kermit_xc

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

"sending emails and browsing web" - why would I need a GPU with 450W power requirement ??? ... you're not ready my friend :)

ROFL :lol: DUH !!! That went right over your head didn't it. :lol:

Have you ever heard of sarcasm? I guess not. :lol:

kermit_xc

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

:) what is sarcasm?

Saying a GPU requires a 450W PSU is often the manufacturer's way of covering the possibility that the buyer is using a ChokeMax PSU, or some other cheap generic crap that came with a case, that's really only good for 60% of its claimed capacity. On the other hand, an Antec Earthwatts 380 is a quality PSU that can power a 4850.

If the Neopower you have is old, capacitor aging may have reduced its capacity. You don't need a 1kW PSU, but a quality 500W-550W 80+ unit could give you years of reliable service.