Sign in with
Your question

So, odd question. Need display help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2008 7:44:27 AM

So it's pretty lame, I purcahsed Full Spectrum Warrior from STEAM. I know, it's a dated game etc. but it was only like 10 bucks, and I played it way back in the day on Xbox and loved it.
Here's the dilemna: I have a 1920x1200 native res. monitor. And...come to find out the highest available in-game resolution setting is only 1280x1024! I mean, this was realeased in late 2004, what are they doing with such strict resolution requirements?

Well, needless to say it looks embaressing stretched out at 1920x1200. so I figured I would start it in windowed mode. Doesn't work. Alt+Enter doesn't work. adding -window or -windowed- or -sw to the file target doesn't work either. I am at a loss. I really want to play this game! Does anybody know any 3rd party apps that will force window mode, or maybe enable higher resolutions in the game ? I have searched the web and found a buch of mumbo jumbo. Is it possible that certain games cannot do windowed mode no matter what ? Does anybody have a patch or something that would enable widescreen support for this game ? I know this is a long shot in the dark...with a pea shooter, but plz can anybody help me ???

More about : odd question display

a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2008 7:47:45 AM

Oh, also, I did try one app. 3D analyze it is called. It requires that you give it the .exe file for the game that you want to run in windowed mode. and....I can't find it. Is it because I downloaded via Steam ? Where is the .exe file for FSW ??? I am running Vista 64 bit, does that matter ? I feel like I know nothing about fixing this problem.
August 4, 2008 9:23:34 AM

sry no idea
Related resources
August 4, 2008 9:51:17 AM

you can go into the shortcut properties to find where the exe is. i think vista lets you just right click and "Open file location". that's where the exe should be. i'm not sure how it works with steam, if you need to go through a front-end gui or something, but a direct shortcut to the game should have the exe location.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2008 9:54:58 AM

yes, you are correct about the "open file location" however, it simply directs me to the STEAM.EXE launch icon. Bear with me, I beleive somehow, that when I start up FSW it launches STEAM.EXE> which in turn launches FSW thru Steam. I cannot find FSW.EXE becasue it is either a hidden file that I cannot find, or Steam hides it for security reasons is my guess. Thanks for the responses, I know this is a bizarre problem.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2008 12:16:54 PM

^^Why I refuse to use Steam at all.

There *might* be a config file somewhere where you can force the resolution to whatever you want, no promises that will work though...
August 4, 2008 12:18:22 PM

yeah, seems odd... i kinda thought steam might use it's own thing. if you check the shortcut properties you should be able to see the exact command line being run, maybe you can pass that whole thing to the other program?

for your monitor, does it have its own aspect ration controls? like can you just turn off stretch? there might also be some options in the nvidia control panel to make it do black bars instead of stretching... not sure
August 4, 2008 5:15:42 PM

I use Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft......

It enables you to load ANY operating system in a windowed mode in the
form of a .vhd (virtual hard disk)....

I routinely use this with all my previously purchased O.S.'s so that I have
max compatability with older games and application software.

good luck
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2008 6:08:33 PM

oh simple fix in vista you add -w to the target.
I play cnc3 in vista and it works
EDIT: ah sry it seems to be -win i just tried it.
August 4, 2008 6:42:35 PM

If your monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping, or an aspect ratio mode, your can turn it on through the OSD.
In your case it will fill up the screen vertically but add black bars on both sides so the aspect ratio is preserved.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2008 7:17:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies, but can anyone elaborate on how to apply some of these methods ? Kind of like a step by step thing. that would help alot.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2008 5:14:00 AM

So I just fiddled with my monitor, these are the options I have: 4:3 aspect ratio, 1:1. and Full modes. Also, there is something called OSD Setup, is that anything that I could use ? or is that just the menu setup option. Right now I am using 4:3 ration with the black bars on the sides like Jamay suggested, but I still don't see much improvement in the game. Any other ideas here ?
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2008 5:15:49 AM

Also, Sabotoo, the - win did not work either, but I didn't think it would. thanks anyways.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2008 6:29:36 AM

UPDATE: Fixed!!!!!! Thanks for the help everyone, espescially Jamay, I fixed it by fooling around with my monitor menu, I guess 1:1 ratio was the sweet spot. Whats's great is that when I return to my desktop, my normal ratio for 1920x1200 widescreen returns. Now I can sit back and enjoy the game.
!