Hello all,

i'm in need of some help. yesterday i was suprised to receive my new PC:

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 7.1
Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card

SAPPHIRE 100243-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W Continuous @ 45°C

I'm using my old 75gb WD 10k rpm's
I installed everything got it too boot up did my os install, started to upgrade drivers and what not.. then i plug in my speakers into the x-fi and no sound just a high pitched shrill. ok i reboot the machine and as soon as it powers up the high pitched shrill comes on through the speakers all from the start to end of booting up. i thought ok maybe bad x-fi card rma it to new egg, but then i decide to try the x-fi that came with the mobo, this time no high pitched shrill but when xp pro loads and installs the drivers still no sound at all.. now with both cards the OS does recognize them but no sound at all on one and the hi pitched shrill on the other. now i'm wondering could it be that all 3 PCI/E slots are bad?? no matter what slot the sound card goes into it doesn't work and with same results. i just wanted an opinion or further guesses as to what could be the problem. i very much doubt both sound cards could be bad but one never knows.

i have exhuasted what little mind i have and am now reaching out to you all, i appreciate your time and efforts in helping me reslove the issues and be able to use my new rig with some sound. if i posted in the wrong area i apologize.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
My first question would be, when you installed the bundled card did you enable onboard sound in the BIOS?

I have the same motherboard, which slot did you install the X-Fi Titanium in? Did you try any other slots? I know on some boards (like my old P5N32-E SLI) Asus used a proprietary configuration for the top (black) PCI-E 1x slot so the only thing it was useful for was the bundled sound card. I thought I had read somewhere that they changed it on their newer boards to a regular PCI-E 1x slot but I checked the manual online and it states that it's only compatible with their sound card.

morlad808

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Yes when the x-fi fatal1ty is on the pci/e slot 1 onboard sound is disabled. when the supreme x-fi in slot 1 onboard sound is on. but i don't understand why would the supreme x-fi give me no sound at all, and the x-fi fatal1ty just a high pitched squeal at anytime everytime. like i said the os recognizes both cards but just no sound. and the hi pitched shrill/squeal is on the fatal1ty no matter which of the 3 pci/e slots i use. i'm about to grab toms hammer and try to fix it the old fashoined way /sigh