power supply not working

heavymtl

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
i recently built a computer for a friend...he bought the parts...i put it all together...and no i'm not a noob i have built all my machines...anyway he got a MSI P35 Neo2-FR...the case and power supply are a coolermaster...the supply is 380 or 400 watts...but it does NOT power the board...i have plugged in a small 350 watt el cheapo power supply and it works fine...he got another NEW power supply 420 watts...same issue....any clue as to what might be the problem?...bye the way...the motherboard has 2 extra hookups for power...1 looks like the kind on a hard drive or cd rom..the 4 pin.....the other is a 8 pin connector...the el cheapo supply has a 4 pin that fits into the 8 pin slot...the coolermaster has a 6 pin that fits in the 8 pin slot...odd that cheapo powers the board...thanx for reading..please help :)

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Then it's his psu's. I'm guessing they're generic. Tell him to get a brand name.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

13-130-098-04.jpg

8-pin cpu & 24-pin mobo must be connected. The white 4-pin is molex. It's not necessary unless it is running 2 video cards.

Wait a minute...you plugged a six-pin power connector into the 8 pin slot?

OOPS...that was a PCI-E video power cable, not a CPU power cable. You may have fried something. There may be cap over 4 pins of the 8-pin connector; or if not capped, there will be instructions in the manual as to which 4 pins should be used if you only have a 4-pin CPU power connector (will be 4, 8, or 4+4 from the PSU, NOT the 4-pin part of the 20+4 pin main power connector).

heavymtl

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
yes i did...heheh..but i didn't fry anything...i have a el cheapo supply running it as we speak (i type) and all is good...i ended up calling MSI and talked to techj support..he told me that the 8 pin is NEEDED...so i have to find a supply with that 8 pin wire on it..then all should be good..thanx to auscanzukus and jtt283 for helping...i am always learning new things on forums :sol:

Only four of those pins are needed. If you look at the picture provided by auscanzukus, you'll note that four of them are capped; that is for PSUs that have only a 4-pin CPU power cable.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well, i'm not calling you a noob or anything, but just because you have built your own comp doesn't instantly make you a pro or the worlds uberest geek.. i mean how hard is it to build a comp?