CPU upgrade issues

darkrangr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
im trying to figure out why my computer wont post after upgrading the processor.
im using a intel big lake 945g motherboard 775.
it has a Pentium D in it originally but gateway said it owuld support up to a 1066 fsb core 2 duo but upon placing in my e6400 it doesnt post.
normally i know you may hace to play with the bios or jumpers but there aren't any jumpers and i cant find any options in the bios to get anywhere.
i contact gateway and they were useless just kept triyng to sell my support.

anyone know what i did wrong or if this wont work?

Original 945g chipsets did not support C2D when released. Some MB manufacturer's, including ASUS, later released 'Revision' 2' 945g MBs with updated voltage regulators that supported some of the earlier C2D porcessors. Your 945g MB apparently does not support C2D. Mine doesn't.

Supports Intel 945G chipset with ICH7R Supports Intel Pentium 4 processors LGA775 socket 1066, 800, or 533 MHz system bus
http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.display/Product_ID/5087

Well, you mentioned you contacted gateway. isn't the MB I posted the gateway 945g? C2D is not supported. Most 945g MBs do not support C2D. Only a few later releases of the 945g from certain companies (ASUS was one) called 'revision 2' had the proper VR's to support C2D.

darkrangr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
cool beans, its funny that it literally took a couple sentences from you to clearly tell me why it didnt work and 2 hours with gateway to tell me it should but couldnt help me fix it unless i woudl pay lol.

thanks mucho :)

Yeah, I was so dissappointed when my 945g would not support C2D when the first processors were released. My MB then had a 'revision 2' release that did. So, I familiar with the 945g chipset and processor support. I still run a pentium D in my 945g and use it as a workstation in one of our offices.

WFKING

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
THANKS FOR THE INFO YOU ALL HAVE POSTED ON THE 945G. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SEE IF MY 945A WILL SUPPORT C2D.

I'M NEW AT THIS SO HOW DO I KNOW FOR SURE IF MY MB IS A REVISION 2?
THE INFO I HAVE SHOWS MY CHIPSET AS i945G/GZ REV. A2.

IS THIS A REV 2 OR HOW DO I TELL?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP